Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing is the First to Have a Brembo Carbon Ceramic Brake Option

Bradan Donaldson

Super Moderator
Staff member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
Not Yet!
2022-cadillac-ct5-v-blackwing-brembo-carbon-ceramic-brakes.jpg

THE ALL-NEW CADILLAC CT4-V/CT5-V BLACKWING WILL BRAKE WITH BREMBO​

As a first for Cadillac, the CT5-V Blackwing gets a full Brembo Carbon-Ceramic Brake option​

DETROIT, (Feb. 2, 2021) - Brembo, the world leader and acknowledged innovator of brake technology, is the stopping partner of choice for the new 2022 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing and CT5-V Blackwing.

The new performance sedans will employ Brembo lightweight technology on all four corners of the brand’s flagship super sedans. A high-performance cast iron disc system is standard on both vehicles, while Brembo’s most advanced carbon-ceramic brake system will be available on the supercharged, 668-horsepower CT5-V Blackwing— a first-of-its-kind option for Cadillac.

“We are excited to provide Cadillac with their first-ever carbon-ceramic brake package,” said Dan Sandberg, Brembo North America president and CEO. “This will be our fourth generation of brake systems stopping the Cadillac V-Series sedans, and it is certainly a highlight of our 15-year history with Cadillac.

“The Brembo carbon ceramic brake package on the CT5-V Blackwing will save 28.8kg (63.5 lbs.), further heightening the athleticism of this super sedan. The unique, new Tech Bronze color of the large Brembo Calipers peering through the CT5-V’s wheels, accentuate the performance, sophistication and confident look of the CT5-V Blackwing. We even went so far as to etch the V-Series logo into the bell of the carbon disc.”

2022 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing Carbon Ceramic Brakes by Brembo

Brembo’s leadership in carbon brake technology has been earned from decades of experience in Formula 1 and on the world’s toughest racetracks. The Brembo Group has been manufacturing carbon-ceramic discs for automotive applications since 2002.

Brembo supplies the stopping power for the winning Cadillac DPi-V.R racecar in the IMSA WeatherTech Championship, where Cadillac has won the Rolex 24 at Daytona four years in a row.

The optional Cadillac carbon-ceramic package for the CT5-V Blackwing features a six-piston monobloc aluminum caliper with radiated pistons on the front for increased thermal dissipation. All four of the brake calipers communicate to the ECU with electric pad wear sensors, another first for Cadillac.

The pads feature a copper-free friction material, formulated for both comfort and performance. The pads, contained within six piston front calipers, clamp on to large 400mm (15.75 in.) diameter carbon-ceramic discs weighing in at 7.5kg (16.5 lbs.) per disc. At the rear are 370mm (14.5 in.) diameter discs weighing 5.8kg (12.8 lbs.) with bespoke four piston aluminum calipers. The carbon ceramic option provides a 28.8kg (63.5 lbs.) weight savings over cast-iron. The unsprung weight savings on each corner contributes to the nimble handling of the CT5-V Blackwing.

Brembo Carbon Ceramic Brakes for the V-Series

The standard cast-iron brake system will have Brembo’s six-piston aluminum calipers paired with a 398mm (15.6 in.) diameter disc weighing 16.6kg (36.6 lbs.) at the front. Stopping the rear wheels are four-piston aluminum two-piece calipers with 374mm (14.72 in.) discs weighing 11.1kg (24.5 lbs.).

When in park, Brembo’s electronic parking brake (EPB) caliper—another first for Cadillac—will hold the V-Series Blackwings at a standstill with the press of a button. The EPB system eliminates the need for added foot or hand levers and is actuated electronically.

Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing Brembo Brake Details:​

Standard cast-iron system:

Front:

Brembo monobloc all-aluminum six-piston caliper (M6.30/34/38)
Copper-free brake pads, pad area 142cm2
398x 36 mm cast-iron two-piece disc, disc weighs 16.6 kg

Rear:
Brembo two-piece all-aluminum four-piston caliper (P4.28/32)
Copper-free brake pads, pad area 42.7 cm2
Brembo 374x 28 mm cast-iron integral disc, disc weighs 11.1 kg
Brembo electronic parking brake

Colors
Tech Bronze (new), Harbor Grey, Edge Red, Royal Blue

2022 Cadillac CT4-V and CT5-V Blackwing Brembo Brake Calipers in four colors

Optional carbon-ceramic system:
Front:

Brembo monobloc all-aluminum six-piston caliper (M6.30/34/38) with radiated pistons
Copper-free brake ceramic pads, pad area of 142cm2 designed for performance and comfort
Brembo 400x 38 mm carbon-ceramic two-piece disc, disc weighs 7.5kg

Rear:
Brembo monobloc all-aluminum four-piston caliper (M4.30/34)
Copper-free brake pads, pad area 74.6cm2
Brembo 370x 34 mm carbon-ceramic disc, disc weighs 5.8kg
Brembo Electronic parking brake

Colors:
Tech Bronze (new), Edge Red, Royal Blue

Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing Brembo Brake Details:​

The CT4-V Blackwing will be the most powerful and fastest Cadillac ever in the subcompact class. The CT4-V Blackwing is more nimble, and benefits from extensive aerodynamic development and testing.

Front:
Brembo monobloc all-aluminum six-piston caliper (M6.30/34/38)
Copper-free brake pads, pad area 113.7cm2
Brembo 380x 34 mm cast-iron two-piece disc, disc weighs 12.53 kg

Rear:
Brembo Two-piece all-aluminum four-piston caliper (P4.28/32)
Copper-free brake pads, pad area 39.8 cm2
Brembo 340x 28 mm cast-iron integral disc, disc weighs 8.45 kg
Brembo Electronic parking brake

Colors:
Tech Bronze (new), Harbor Grey, Edge Red, Royal Blue

Source: Brembo N.A. News

I'm going to get the CCBs mainly for the weight savings and the lack of brake dust on the wheels. While they work well on track the CCBs do not typically hold up well to heavy track use and all the track rats replace them with iron rotors. I'm hoping these rotors and pads have the improved treatment that came out with the C7 ZR1.

Curious how many bit the bullet and selected this option... It would be nice to have increased performance, little to no brake dust, and longevity on the rotors. If the average driving is spirited, without frequent track use... what would you all go with?

Curious how many bit the bullet and selected this option... It would be nice to have increased performance, little to no brake dust, and longevity on the rotors. If the average driving is spirited, without frequent track use... what would you all go with?
Take a look at the Registry. :thumb

I went for it. I'm a track rat but this won't be my main track car. If I start tracking it a lot I'll just wait for AP Racing to make a brake kit and put the CCBs in a box. I did it mainly for the weight savings and lack of dust. Also, the fact that this is such a special car I figured I'd go ahead and option it out.

I don’t plan to track the car (got pana roof too) so that was my main reason not going with the CC brakes. Plus the $9k price lol.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back