Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Battery Maintainer

@wschomburg please see my pictures attached. I attached the ground onto the ground lug normally used when using jumper cables. These are taken today connected to my car.
I have several CTEC chargers depending on what I’m charging. Today I have the MUS 4.3 on my 5VBW as I like the readout the best. I have a larger one currently hooked up to my Explorer and a very small one on my generator battery.

I have no problems charging my 5VBW connected this way at all.
Thank you. I hooked it up for 6 hours, and the Cadillac maintainer stated it was still low, but yet it cranked over. Took it for a drive to finish the charge and got the system upto 14.1 volts after the drive. Boy was that battery maintainer hot!

I was a bit surprised by just how hot it was. I also have a CTEK MXs5 I believe that plugs into the cigarette lighter for my 911 and works great. Anyone know if this would work in the CT5V BW?

@wschomburg all my CTEK’s including the Cadillac branded one always get hot, it’s normal. IMO, the Cadillac one seems to be possibly less output and slower than my MUS 4.3, but can’t say for sure. I think the extra lights make it easier to know where in the charge cycle you are, but I also have a digital Fluke meter as well if I want to check.
I don’t drive it much and I put the charger on usually 1st thing in the morning on a day that I don’t at all. Normally it takes 8 to 10 hrs before switching to green and float charging. The charger then cools down quite a bit as it doesn’t have to work as hard. That charger is at least 10yrs old with no issues.

I have a cigarette lighter/power adapter as well and how I charge my 2016 Z06. It has one in the trunk/hatch area and I rest the hatch back on the wires when I use it.

I haven’t checked to see if the 5VBW has a continuous hot power outlet. I rather keep my hood up over leaving my window slightly down and collecting more dust inside.
All you have to do is plug something in while the car is off and if it’s hot, then you can use the charge adapter and the battery will charge. Make sure your charger cord is long enough for the charger to be outside the car to allow it to cool itself better.

I was also charging my Explorer last night and is the larger 7002 model truck style CTEK charger on it, but direct connection to the battery posts as it’s battery is in the engine area unlike the BW. Everything works great for me and all my batteries stay charged up.

@wschomburg all my CTEK’s including the Cadillac branded one always get hot, it’s normal. IMO, the Cadillac one seems to be possibly less output and slower than my MUS 4.3, but can’t say for sure. I think the extra lights make it easier to know where in the charge cycle you are, but I also have a digital Fluke meter as well if I want to check.
I don’t drive it much and I put the charger on usually 1st thing in the morning on a day that I don’t at all. Normally it takes 8 to 10 hrs before switching to green and float charging. The charger then cools down quite a bit as it doesn’t have to work as hard. That charger is at least 10yrs old with no issues.

I have a cigarette lighter/power adapter as well and how I charge my 2016 Z06. It has one in the trunk/hatch area and I rest the hatch back on the wires when I use it.

I haven’t checked to see if the 5VBW has a continuous hot power outlet. I rather keep my hood up over leaving my window slightly down and collecting more dust inside.
All you have to do is plug something in while the car is off and if it’s hot, then you can use the charge adapter and the battery will charge. Make sure your charger cord is long enough for the charger to be outside the car to allow it to cool itself better.

I was also charging my Explorer last night and is the larger 7002 model truck style CTEK charger on it, but direct connection to the battery posts as it’s battery is in the engine area unlike the BW. Everything works great for me and all my batteries stay charged up.
OK so I used the proper ground and the battery reflects a full charge on the maintainer now. Also as you stated its now green on not very hot anymore. Thanks for all the info!

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back