Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Battery Charger

Caruso0644

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT5-V Black Series
Does anyone know the type of battery in a CT5 Blackwing? Will the CTEK Lithium smart charger work?

Does anyone know the type of battery in a CT5 Blackwing? Will the CTEK Lithium smart charger work?
It's an AGM battery. The CTEK will work. The "Cadillac" battery charger that you can get from the dealership is just a rebranded CTEK.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-04-09 14.16.45.png
    Screenshot 2022-04-09 14.16.45.png
    495.5 KB · Views: 162
  • Screenshot 2022-04-09 14.15.06.png
    Screenshot 2022-04-09 14.15.06.png
    91.7 KB · Views: 153
I’ve had CTEKs before. They are good units, but they are battery maintainers. If an AGM battery gets sufficiently discharged they won’t recover the battery because they lack the current output. These days I use the Pro Charging Systems units.

I’m looking to just get the battery fully charged and maintained. Car sat for a couple months before getting to me this week and now is going to be turned on and off at my Detailer’s for a week or two, so I want to drop my CTEK off to him. Just wanted to confirm it will be okay for the battery.

What I use and it worked great so far.

Attachments

• IMG_4609.jpg
    IMG_4609.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 225
  • IMG_4610.jpg
    IMG_4610.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 233
  • IMG_4612.jpg
    IMG_4612.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 222
gave my Detailer my CTEK, hooked it all up but said it’s interesting trying to get to the positive side of the battery.

Has anyone ever hooked a charger to remote jump locations?

I just installed my Battery Tender maintainer today. I think mine is 4.25A or similar.
Once the black cover is removed fromt the positive side, difficult but possible, I just attached the eyelet ends right to the + and - terminal bolts. I didn't loosen or remove anything, just added new M6x1.0 nylon locknuts.

My BW was built in late January and it was delivered to the dealer in mid April and I picked up the day after it was dropped off. It started and ran just fine, but I wanted to make sure it had a full deep charge.
I connected my CTEK MX 5.0 battery maintainer to the under hood remote jump post using the CTEK alligator clip accessory. After charging overnight on the GSM mode the CTEK indicator lights went green (fully charged).

Can you use the jumpers under the hood to trickle charge? I saw a video where they have hook ups under the hood to jump the car off

I keep this one in my trunk of the 4BW.. It has pulled me and a few others out of a jam a few times...

Attachments

• IMG_5184.jpg
    IMG_5184.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 137
  • IMG_5183.jpg
    IMG_5183.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 110
I’ve had CTEKs before. They are good units, but they are battery maintainers. If an AGM battery gets sufficiently discharged they won’t recover the battery because they lack the current output. These days I use the Pro Charging Systems units.
Can you tell me more about that Charging System charger. I looked on their website and didn't seem to see anything aimed at automotive applications. Thanks, Don

Can you tell me more about that Charging System charger. I looked on their website and didn't seem to see anything aimed at automotive applications. Thanks, Don

They are geared toward marine applications, but an AGM battery is an AGM battery. The benefit is they can recover a deep cycled battery.

I use a PS1 on my Blackwing and used it for 3 years before that on my Mercedes. On my Jeep I have a PS2 with both banks connected in parallel for 30A since that battery gets run down pretty far.

Last edited:
I have the Schumacher tender/charger for my rides. I like that it has a digital display as soon as you connect pos/neg leads and it tells you how much percent charge your battery is at. It comes with cigarette lighter, pigtail and alligator clips for attachment. Yesterday , I attached the pigtail to by trunk battery terminals for easy access, when I put my rides away for the winter.

Attachments

• 20231109_211126.jpg
    20231109_211126.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 50
  • 20231107_175936.jpg
    20231107_175936.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 45
I have the Schumacher tender/charger for my rides. I like that it has a digital display as soon as you connect pos/neg leads and it tells you how much percent charge your battery is at. It comes with cigarette lighter, pigtail and alligator clips for attachment. Yesterday , I attached the pigtail to by trunk battery terminals for easy access, when I put my rides away for the winter.
The battery is covered and has a big plastic cover over the positive terminal. How did you connect?

Talked to the dealer's tech guy, said to take all the "dressing" in the trunk off is about a half day to remove and reinstall.

Not trying to be a wize ass, just trying to learn more about things.

I have the CTEK and a big Sears Craftsmen charger with 2, 15 and 45 amp charge rates. Don

What I use and it worked great so far.
How did you make connections to the battery? There is a very large plastic cover on the positive terminal and no room to remove it. Thanks, Don

I mangled the trunk liner a bit to remove the plastic top and install the eyelet ones. But it’s really tight. I got a 2nd BW and I think I’m just going to do the clamps in the hood instead.

The battery is covered and has a big plastic cover over the positive terminal. How did you connect?

Talked to the dealer's tech guy, said to take all the "dressing" in the trunk off is about a half day to remove and reinstall.

Not trying to be a wize ass, just trying to learn more about things.

I have the CTEK and a big Sears Craftsmen charger with 2, 15 and 45 amp charge rates. Don
I used a wooden brush handle that I clean my wheels with, to wedge under the plastic cover that is over the positive connection. It gives you just enough room to use a small ratchet or open end wrench to remove the nut on the positive . It did take me about 40 minutes to get it done. The dealer tech is full of crap about half a day. With the correct tools , it can be done in under 2 hours even if you are a novice.

Attachments

• 20231107_175906.jpg
    20231107_175906.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 65
The battery will still die when its too old, and will even keep the green lights on the tender while it happens.

I haven't ridden my Harley in the last 6 months (I know.......that is shameful) and after dusting it off and airing up the tires last week - it was dead as a doornail even though its Tender (same one as TallSteve) was green the whole time. It was 3 years old.

BatteriesPlus even talked me out of a Li replacement. They claim normal alternators overcharge Li batteries, so the warranty is void and the battery itself can even blow up. I decided not to take the risk.

I did not have such a consultation when I ordered my Li Ducati battery a few months ago, so we'll see who was right.

The Ducati Li only saved a couple of pounds, but the HD would've been a whopping 20 lbs lighter !!! Very disappointing.......

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back