Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Help! 2016 cts-v - transmission issues - anyone else with a problem cadillac won't fix

Need help topic

rwalker5481

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2016 Cadillac CTS-v
I have a 2016 CTS-V that started having the transmissionproblems in July 2016 with almost 5K miles on it; I purchased the01/02/2016. There was a regular vibration that ran through the car as Idrove it. I took it in and they said it needed to be reprogrammed. They kept it for 2 weeks, I picked it up and the problem was still there. The shutter/vibration appears to be an inherent problem with the 8 speedtransmission after a few miles accumulate from what I have read about it. The fix is to install a new and improved torch converter. They installedone on my car (took another 2 weeks in the shop) that cured theshutter/vibration. However, the carstarted to shift harder and they blame that on the adaptive transmission thatit needs to learn how you drive. I can tell you my transmission haslearning issues as it has never learned how to shift properly (as it did when Ileased the car) since the torque converter replacement. I keep taking itback complaining about the harsh and inconsistent shifting of the transmissionto the Tune of 70 days in the shop. Cadillac refuses to fix the transmission. They will tell you it is normal for it toshift like that even though it never shifted like this before the repair. When shifting, my car now delays, surges, over-reacts when driving andjerks when slowing down to a stop with no pressure being applied to the gas orbrake. It is horrible in stop and go traffic. It is getting worsewith accumulation of miles; the car now has a little over 13K on it. It also feels like someone bumps you frombehind when coming to a stop a lot of the times. Cadillac/GM has left meno choice but to opened a Lemon Law case on this as I am tired of paying for acar that is miserable to drive. GM/Cadillac does not want to fixthe car and I can't understand that. You buy a $90K car and now youhave to live with their engineering mistake.

Love to hear back fromeveryone on this and their experience. Best of luck getting you CTS-V fixed if it does have this problem.

SO DISAPPOINTED!

This sounds similar to my issues on my 2017 CTS-V. Which is a constant shake while cruising on the highway. I have not seen it referenced anywhere, but the service bulletin they point me to is #PIP5405B.

I've never seen something like this explained away so quickly as "normal" simply because it is common. Such a ridiculous claim and turning into a huge waste of time. I also have a new z06, which is manual, and does not have this issue.

I've been in with the car several times. All they have attempted was a reprogram. Will be pursing full resolution, which sadly is looking like that means bye-bye CTS-V. Will revert back with any other observations.

I am sorry you are having the same issue

Thanks for the response. Cadillac/GM did finally replace the torque converter in my car around 5K miles. You can tell they didn't want to as they first tried to reprogram it for almost 2 weeks with no success. They told me it was fixed when I picked it up on a Friday; the vibration/shutter was still there and I had to take it back to the shop the next Monday! Once they replaced the torque converter, the car starting shifting horrible. It has only grown worse over time. Cadillac reprogrammed it several times since but that has never fixed the shifting problem. All they want to tell you is it has an adaptive transmission and learns how you drive. GM/Cadillac is just making that up to try to get you to go away. They will continue to tell you it is suppose to shift that way! I have researched adaptive transmission and it is designed to keep the shifts smooth throughout the life of the transmission. The adaptive transmission continually monitors the transmission so it is always adjusting to keep the shifts smooth as when you first purchased the vehicle. I had the car in for a total of 71 days before I started the Lemon Law case in October 2016. GM/Cadillac forced me into the Lemon Law.

My car now has a little over 13K miles on it. The shutter/vibration has now returned. I feel that the simple truth is they don't know how to fix the transmissions to shift correctly once the car has a few miles on it. My car now feels like someone bumps you from the back when coming to a stop a lot of the times. It also jerks when slowing down from 40 to 0 without your foot on the gas or brake. When slowly taking off, it will jerk and surge. When driving around 60 to 70 MPH it will have a grinding/vibration/shutter go throughout the car (this was what I initially brought the car in for repair).

If you research 8-Speed GM automatic transmission, you will find there are many, many stories like ours. GM started using the 8-speed automatic transmission in 2015 in their SUV's and Trucks with the 6.2L engine. I have found many websites with comments about the same issue we are experiencing and with GM telling the customers the same story they are telling us. The standard repair for the Shutter/Vibration you are experiencing is the replacement of the Torque converter and if you complain a lot, a new transmission. However, the stories are just like mine, the problem comes back as you drive the car.

I have a feeling this is just another GM cover-up for a problem they don't want to recall and correct due to the number of vehicles affected. It is once again a very disappointing and poor reflection of GM. I would have a hard time buying another GM product as I don't feel they care about the customer; especially one that will spend the $100K on their product.

I have a rehearing scheduled for the 28th of September to determine the final fate of the car. The judge has already ruled that GM has to buy my car back. However, GM asked for the rehearing as they said it was unfair for them to have to buy it back. Just another example of GM/Cadillac not caring about their customer.

It is so unfortunate that GM/Cadillac does not what or know how to repair the car/trucks/suv's with the 8-speed automatic. It is the MOST EXPENSIVE car they sell and they don't care about their customers. You and I are not the only ones with this problem. They just don't want to fix their problem or can't. I am sure you will have to bring the Lemon Law as well which is a big pain as well as time consuming. You should not have to endure this as a Cadillac owner! In my opinion, there is an Expectation that comes with owning a Cadillac, especially a $100K one, and having to deal with a car they don't want to repair is not one of them.

Let me know how it goes. Best of luck and I am sorry to hear you are having the same issue, however, it is no surprise.

This sounds similar to my issues on my 2017 CTS-V. Which is a constant shake while cruising on the highway. I have not seen it referenced anywhere, but the service bulletin they point me to is #PIP5405B.

I've never seen something like this explained away so quickly as "normal" simply because it is common. Such a ridiculous claim and turning into a huge waste of time. I also have a new z06, which is manual, and does not have this issue.

I've been in with the car several times. All they have attempted was a reprogram. Will be pursing full resolution, which sadly is looking like that means bye-bye CTS-V. Will revert back with any other observations.

Ironically, GM just released a technical service bulletin titled "#16-NA-175: Shake and/or Shudder During Light Throttle Acceleration Between 25 and 80 MPH (40 and 128 KM/H) at a Steady State."

This TSB was issued on 24AUG2017.

It addresses the CTS-V transmission problems which are discussed in the above several posts.

Last edited:
Thanks so much

I really appreciate you sending me this update. Have a great day and week.

Robert

Update - court rehearing coming!

update - I have been dealing with the same issue since July 2016, I have a 2016 CTS-V that first had the vibration problem at 5K miles. After being in the shop for 4 week and 2 trips, they replaced the torque converter in July 2016. After replacement, I complained about hard shifts. They kept my car for almost 70 days total and could never repair the transmission to shift as it did when it was new. In October, I enacted the Lemon Law as they had given up on fixing my car and that I just needed to live with it. I finally got the court date in April 2017 at which time the Judge drove my car and it had a little over 10K on it. As the miles increased, so did the shifting problem. In June 2017 a decision from the court was awarded at which time GM asked for a rehearing. The rehearing is set for the week of Sept. 25th. The car now has a little over 14K miles on it and the shifting is worse than ever.
At a little over 14K, the transmission once again shutters/vibrates at highway speed, jerks when slowing from 40 to 0 without the foot on the brake, surges when taking off very slowly, grinds and vibrates as you as shifting through gears while taking off at normal speeds, over-reacts when taking off aggressively, feels like someone hits you from behind when coming to a stop a lot of the time, etc.
We will see the outcome after next week.
Again best of luck.
Robert

update - I have been dealing with the same issue since July 2016, I have a 2016 CTS-V that first had the vibration problem at 5K miles. After being in the shop for 4 week and 2 trips, they replaced the torque converter in July 2016. After replacement, I complained about hard shifts. They kept my car for almost 70 days total and could never repair the transmission to shift as it did when it was new. In October, I enacted the Lemon Law as they had given up on fixing my car and that I just needed to live with it. I finally got the court date in April 2017 at which time the Judge drove my car and it had a little over 10K on it. As the miles increased, so did the shifting problem. In June 2017 a decision from the court was awarded at which time GM asked for a rehearing. The rehearing is set for the week of Sept. 25th. The car now has a little over 14K miles on it and the shifting is worse than ever.
At a little over 14K, the transmission once again shutters/vibrates at highway speed, jerks when slowing from 40 to 0 without the foot on the brake, surges when taking off very slowly, grinds and vibrates as you as shifting through gears while taking off at normal speeds, over-reacts when taking off aggressively, feels like someone hits you from behind when coming to a stop a lot of the time, etc.
We will see the outcome after next week.
Again best of luck.
Robert
Hey how ya doing saw your post seeing a lot of people.having trans issues was wondering your outcome of your experience ? Do you still have the car ? How was the court process ? Saw some saying 2017 they worked out the kinks .. thanks for any help currently have 09 looking to upgrade possibly thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

The 2016 CTSV Is a Piece of S### - Cadillac does NOT stand behind their CARS!

Hey how ya doing saw your post seeing a lot of people.having trans issues was wondering your outcome of your experience ? Do you still have the car ? How was the court process ? Saw some saying 2017 they worked out the kinks .. thanks for any help currently have 09 looking to upgrade possibly thanks in advance

I first won the Lemon Law case but Cadillac wanted a rehearing. During the rehearing, the Judge changed his mind and said that the problem was not a "Warrantable Problem" but a "Manufacture Defect" as they all exhibit the same problem. In this case, the issue was not covered by the Lemon Law per the Judge. So Cadillac's problem became my problem. I lost the case! I immediately took the car to Texas Direct Auto and sold it. I am not driving around in a vehicle that jerks, grinds, etc. I had to pay almost $9,700 to get rid of it but was way better than riding out the lease in a piece of S###.

I can tell you I will NEVER buy a Cadillac product again! You buy the most expensive brand and they treat you just like a Chevrolet owner. In fact, I would have purchased an Escalade but due to my treatment from Cadillac, I did not. I had to buy a big SUV so I purchased a 2018 GMC Yukon Denali with a 10 speed transmission. GMC is already treating me better than Cadillac. They seam to care about your opinion of their brand. Makes no sense to me as they are both GM vehicles. Just goes to show why pay for a Cadillac if you are not going to be treated like a Cadillac owner!

As for the replacement of the CTS-V, I leased a 2018 Audi S5 Cabriolet. It is an awesome car. I went to lease a 2018 S8 but they are not producing them anymore as they are coming out with the new A8 for 2019. When they come out in 2020 or 2021, I will get one then.

Best of luck if you have a CTS-V!

Robert

I first won the Lemon Law case but Cadillac wanted a rehearing. During the rehearing, the Judge changed his mind and said that the problem was not a "Warrantable Problem" but a "Manufacture Defect" as they all exhibit the same problem. In this case, the issue was not covered by the Lemon Law per the Judge. So Cadillac's problem became my problem. I lost the case! I immediately took the car to Texas Direct Auto and sold it. I am not driving around in a vehicle that jerks, grinds, etc. I had to pay almost $9,700 to get rid of it but was way better than riding out the lease in a piece of S###.

I can tell you I will NEVER buy a Cadillac product again! You buy the most expensive brand and they treat you just like a Chevrolet owner. In fact, I would have purchased an Escalade but due to my treatment from Cadillac, I did not. I had to buy a big SUV so I purchased a 2018 GMC Yukon Denali with a 10 speed transmission. GMC is already treating me better than Cadillac. They seam to care about your opinion of their brand. Makes no sense to me as they are both GM vehicles. Just goes to show why pay for a Cadillac if you are not going to be treated like a Cadillac owner!

As for the replacement of the CTS-V, I leased a 2018 Audi S5 Cabriolet. It is an awesome car. I went to lease a 2018 S8 but they are not producing them anymore as they are coming out with the new A8 for 2019. When they come out in 2020 or 2021, I will get one then.

Best of luck if you have a CTS-V!

Robert
Thank you for your reply I am disappointed in how they handled this bring a known issue ... did they do the triple flush ? Or converter change ?? They could at least cover your lease fees sorry for your inconvenience man hope Audi works out

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners