Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Oil Changes

I change every 6 months or 5k miles, whichever comes first. I’m about to do my break in oil change at 1500 miles. First time I’ll have my black wing up on stands….

I change every 6 months or 5k miles, whichever comes first. I’m about to do my break in oil change at 1500 miles. First time I’ll have my black wing up on stands….

I finally started using a set of 67” race ramps. I wish I would have bought them sooner. It makes it so much easier for oil changes.

I had my 5BW done at the dealer at 1450 miles. 1st one is complimentary anyway. I just spent $11,000 getting my 1967 Cadillac deville convertible 429 ci engine rebuilt. I had to source many parts that needed replacement and are not cheap. The car has 200,000 miles on it and my Dad bought it brand new in 1967. I took it when I was 12 years old because he said he was gonna junk it. I'm 58 now and still keep it nice. My engine builder had me bring it back for a 1000 mile check up and break in oil change. The rear main seal is leaking ,even after 5 attempts with new seals. I may need to source a new/used crankshaft. He said that these are man-made machines that metal rubs metal , no matter what the factory says. He says that many of the engines he rebuilds are because they go too long without an oil change "as the owner manuals recommend" now. Its better to change the oil every 3-5000 miles just to have a peace of mind. Oil changes cost less than an engine rebuild.
That is gorgeous! Good on you for keeping these classics alive. (y)

I have a set of custom built ramps that I use. Raceramps are way nicer though!

I held out on buying them for years since they are so expensive but the quality is great and they are super lightweight.

+1 for ramp based oil changes. My driveway has a slight slope to it, so once on the ramps its near level. I'm very particular about not overfilling the crankcase and I like to run the level 1-2mm below full mark (well within the safe zone) so being flat helps get the initial fill right. I follow the OLM or time intervals as specified in the manual, which for a weekend car means annual changes in my experience. My diesel Ram manual is adamant about 6 month intervals regardless of mileage, no exceptions. I will change the oil in my 5BW at 500 miles, this is my SOP for new cars.

Oil change was pretty simple. I’m a little surprised the filter and drain plug are uncovered and open. The BW does have a helluva front skid plate I’ve noticed.

I did my first change around 1,350 miles. Super easy to change. Sent a sample to Blackstone labs.

8DC67D36-B8DA-43E1-977A-7BE21D177061.jpeg

Standing under the car facing towards the front. Drain plug is on passenger side. Oil filter is under the yellow microfiber which I was using to snug up an incorrectly sized filter cap wrench.
ED39A821-1A21-4440-B223-728A9C9FE430.jpeg

8ACD4DA6-A692-47B4-AA59-8525B73143D4.jpeg

So just pondering. On the M cars, first mandatory break in oil change is 1500 miles but there is something else I don’t see here. The rear diff for M cars also get a fluid change. No rear diff for a caddy?

Best Explanation for BMW Break-In Service I've Seen Best Explanation for BMW Break-In Service I've Seen

So just pondering. On the M cars, first mandatory break in oil change is 1500 miles but there is something else I don’t see here. The rear diff for M cars also get a fluid change. No rear diff for a caddy?

Best Explanation for BMW Break-In Service I've Seen Best Explanation for BMW Break-In Service I've Seen
The rear diff fluid is supposed to be changed after the first track day.

The rear diff fluid is supposed to be changed after the first track day.
So if you don’t track for 10k miles it’s ok?

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back