Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Blackwing Production End Date?

I wish GM was taking same approach as Ford and figuring out a way to keep building some ICE based enthusiast vehicles while building EV SUVs for the masses. Ford just announced a refreshed V8 ICE based Mustang with a manual for next 6 years or more. They claim the EV Mach E is helping them meet the emissions goals so they can continue to offer V8 Mustangs.
Based on the press releases, I see that GM is more aggressive in their EV plan. I wish they still have a plan to offer V8s in the coming years.

Based on the press releases, I see that GM is more aggressive in their EV plan. I wish they still have a plan to offer V8s in the coming years.
You and me both. Ford claims the Mach-E is responsible for them being able to extend the life of the 5.0 Mustangs. I like Ford's business transition model better. Sure it will be more expensive to keep both ICE and EV going but that should be offset by the large percentage of the market that still prefers ICE and is not ready to move to EV yet.

GM doesn't have a supercharger network like Tesla does yet so this will not bode well for folks who take road trips or live in apartments, etc. IMO, GM is moving too fast but I am sure they see what Tesla stock is worth and want to capture their fair share in this growth market even if that means ditching all the enthusiasts that only make up a small percentage of the market. Eventually will release a performance EV but it won't go vroom vroom and you won't be able to row your own gears. I have one of those already, its called a Tesla Model 3. It is ok, but not nearly as fun as the Blackwings. Dodge is having a rough time trying to convert their Mopar base. That new EV charger reveal was not well received. It makes fake feral cat noises and they are trying to simulate gear shifts in an EV since they linear acceleration of an EV can be boring. Strange times...

Last edited:
You and me both. Ford claims the Mach-E is responsible for them being able to extend the life of the 5.0 Mustangs. I like Ford's business transition model better. Sure it will be more expensive to keep both ICE and EV going but that should be offset by the large percentage of the market that still prefers ICE and is not ready to move to EV yet.

GM doesn't have a supercharger network like Tesla does yet so this will not bode well for folks who take road trips or live in apartments, etc. IMO, GM is moving too fast but I am sure they see what Tesla stock is worth and want to capture their fair share in this growth market even if that means ditching all the enthusiasts that only make up a small percentage of the market. Eventually will release a performance EV but it won't go vroom vroom and you won't be able to row your own gears. I have one of those already, its called a Tesla Model 3. It is ok, but not nearly as fun as the Blackwings. Dodge is having a rough time trying to convert their Mopar base. That new EV charger reveal was not well received. It makes fake feral cat noises and they are trying to simulate gear shifts in an EV since they linera acceleration of an EV can be boring. Strange times...
I am not against EVs but would be happy to have choices as a customer. I hope people making decisions hear our thoughts and at least give handful of options for us (the enthusiasts). There was a cry when Porsche started making Cayenne but their SUVs are funding money to get awesome products to customers.

Even though it is impossible-to-know, this thread is appreciated--as waiting until 2024 (on a BW4) is best for me, and it's helpful to read the common-sense / other parallels that suggest a MY24 is a reasonable expectation.
Since I'm sure GM will come to this site, and my post, for 2024 color advice...I'm READY TO GO on Jungle Green Metallic with Sky Cool Gray interior. Go ahead and make it a 'special' color charge of $1295; I'll happily pay.
And best wishes to you all pushing for orders / cars now.

Even though it is impossible-to-know, this thread is appreciated--as waiting until 2024 (on a BW4) is best for me, and it's helpful to read the common-sense / other parallels that suggest a MY24 is a reasonable expectation.
Since I'm sure GM will come to this site, and my post, for 2024 color advice...I'm READY TO GO on Jungle Green Metallic with Sky Cool Gray interior. Go ahead and make it a 'special' color charge of $1295; I'll happily pay.
Heck yes on the jungle green!!!

Guns N Roses GIF

Also, remember, 2024 is the 20th anniversary of the v series(based on caddy math). Not a bad time for another special edition, or to end it, lol

Also, remember, 2024 is the 20th anniversary of the v series(based on caddy math). Not a bad time for another special edition, or to end it, lol
🤫

I smell a 20th anniv edition. If 2024 is it, or whenever it is it, they will have all kinds of "special editions".

So there is a planned end then?

I feel like we are talking about a TV show and we are guessing when is the last season and how it all ends.

I bet there will be some special editions for the end. Bet GM is looking at Dodge and their last call editions and thinking "hmmmmm, we'd also like to nostalgia rape these customers one last time..."
They were already announced ...

1666185579271.png

The first, second, and third gen regular CTS were all produced for 6 model years. With the CT4 and CT5 both having started in 2020, I'd bet 2025 will be the last year for both cars as well as both Vs and BWs. What is less clear is what production volumes will be. Most other V cars had significant production volume declines in succesive model year. I think the bigger question at hand is how many BW4 and BW5s will be produced. I'd ballpark around 5,000 of each BW for the total production run. As much as ADM's have been prevalent for these cars early on, I don't think the market will support production run volumes much greater than that.
We are in crazy times but remember the saying "Past performance is no guarantee of future results."

The Cadillac brand was built on Luxury cars. They have been pivoting to be GM's "Performance Brand", the V series vehicles, but the top performance cars stayed in Chevy - Camaro and Corvette. But now the GM focus for Cadillac is Electric. So high power ICE engine-based performance sedans do not fit with the Brand's current direction.

Another problem is the limited capability to build the product they have due to supply chain issues. This is causing customers to stop waiting and purchase other brands, mainly BMW M models. The final coming issue the the slowing economy is 2023/2024. So I predict that GM will end production of the CT4/5 BW in 2024.

We are in crazy times but remember the saying "Past performance is no guarantee of future results."

The Cadillac brand was built on Luxury cars. They have been pivoting to be GM's "Performance Brand", the V series vehicles, but the top performance cars stayed in Chevy - Camaro and Corvette. But now the GM focus for Cadillac is Electric. So high power ICE engine-based performance sedans do not fit with the Brand's current direction.

Another problem is the limited capability to build the product they have due to supply chain issues. This is causing customers to stop waiting and purchase other brands, mainly BMW M models. The final coming issue the the slowing economy is 2023/2024. So I predict that GM will end production of the CT4/5 BW in 2024.
I agree, I don't think the 4/5BW will be around as long as people think. GM is so heavily pushing Cadillac to electric that I am not sure how long the ICE Blacwings will really be around. I really don't think its going to be 6 model years though. Maybe 4 at the most, but I could even see 2024 being the last year.

I agree, I don't think the 4/5BW will be around as long as people think. GM is so heavily pushing Cadillac to electric that I am not sure how long the ICE Blacwings will really be around. I really don't think its going to be 6 model years though. Maybe 4 at the most, but I could even see 2024 being the last year.
The Camaro and CT4/5 share the alpha platform and share the same production line at the Lansing plant so it is safe to assume they will die together as they need to retool the plant for EV production. I am sure there are folks on this forum that know the end date but are not at liberty to say but I don't see these being produced past 2024. Some have even hinted at 2023 being the final MY. Most concur that if you want one, get one now. These are relatively low production vehicles, which will probably be hard to find on the used market.

If you follow all the rumors. They all seem to claim 2024 is the end.

Last edited:
Yup, that's what I've been saying. 2024 will be the end. Camaro is supposed to be done 2024, so same platform, plant, etc. They will need the plant for something electric. Glad I have mine!

I hate to say but if ICE Camaro does go in 2024 I think you guys are right, I don't see CT4 surviving production beyond that, the five might linger another year, but yeah 2024 maybe it UNLESS Cadillac is unable to get EV's conversion as quickly as they are projecting which in today's market, is HIGHLY likely.

I agree there’s probably only one more MY for the Blackwings.

However in the article below from Road & Track (June/July 2022), Cadillac VP Rory Harvey is quoted saying “even as Cadillac replaces its lineup with electric cars, the gas-powered equivalents will remain in production for some time.” Now does that include the CT4/CT5 Blackwings? 🤷‍♂️

I hate to say but if ICE Camaro does go in 2024 I think you guys are right, I don't see CT4 surviving production beyond that, the five might linger another year, but yeah 2024 maybe it UNLESS Cadillac is unable to get EV's conversion as quickly as they are projecting which in today's market, is HIGHLY likely.

Agreed, Camaro sales have been weak for a long time but I would expect them to get even worse next year when Ford launches the refreshed 2024 Mustang. The Dodge Challenger/Charger will be dead as well. The Camaro, while best in its class from a performance perspective, will be on an 8 year old platform and is starting to look long in the tooth.
The Mustang will be the first and last pony car of the era. Ironically, the success of the electric Mustang Mach-E is what is enabling Ford to keep selling the ICE based Mustangs. Ford is now starting to sell more Mustang Mach-Es than ICE based Mustangs.

Screen Shot 2022-10-21 at 10.27.26 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-10-21 at 10.28.34 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-10-21 at 10.29.12 AM.png

^With the Camaro #s dwarfing the BW #s - it does beg the question why GM/Caddy would keep the BW models in production past the Camaro date, if they are going to retool the plant for something else.
That said, while the platform is a derivative does it literally go on the same line? It's a big plant, surely they can leave the corner BWs are made alone through 2025. As the article above stated they were keeping (or trying to keep) BW production going while the rest of the plant was idle this past year with all the various part shortages.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back