Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT4-V Perf impact of sunroof?

Cadillac CT4-V model
LOL, I like my sunroof.....Spring and fall I open it daily..
Only because....
1663752055125.png

5BW with intentional no sunroof, for a reason most don’t cite, aesthetics. I think the car’s lines look better with a “clean” roof. The sunroof clashes with the muscle car persona. And finally, I have a color I really like and want as much paint as I can get.

It was no sunroof from the beginning with no debate. Call it intuition.

Last edited:
The last few cars/trucks I have had with a sunroof, almost never used it. Had a longhorn Laramie RAM 3500 where the sun roof was tilted up, not slid back, the sun shade was closed so I didnt notice it when I entered the Costco Car wash. But I sure noticed it once water started falling though the roof liner. That was the last straw, no more sunroofs for me. Same with black paint, never again. My 23' 4bw has about every option except the sun roof.

Keep in mind, its not just 50-55lbs, its at the worst possible placement on the car, the highest CG which will have the most impact to body roll. You will be able to feel it, it may not be much, but when near the limit you will fell it, especially in turn transitions. Do this, go for for a hotlap, then add a 55lb bag of cement to the car, in the trunk if you have to, then go for another lap. You will feel the difference.

Last edited:
^Or have a moose ride shotgun. Their heads gotta weigh that much easy.

Seriously though, in a standard passenger car are you really feeling the extra 150-200lb of a passenger while lapping at an HPDE? Or the dif between a full tank and 1/4 tank? In a 3600lb car, I'm not that good. Absolutely their are nths in it from laptime POV, but not too many will really need that.

^Or have a moose ride shotgun. Their heads gotta weigh that much easy.

Seriously though, in a standard passenger car are you really feeling the extra 150-200lb of a passenger while lapping at an HPDE? Or the dif between a full tank and 1/4 tank? In a 3600lb car, I'm not that good. Absolutely their are nths in it from laptime POV, but not too many will really need that.
Yes. I can absolutely tell the difference when my wife is in my car or not. Mostly because she is yelling at me to slow down.

Keep in mind, its not just 50-55lbs, its at the worst possible placement on the car, the highest CG which will have the most impact to body roll. You will be able to feel it, it may not be much, but when near the limit you will fell it, especially in turn transitions. Do this, go for for a hotlap, then add a 55lb bag of cement to the car, in the trunk if you have to, then go for another lap. You will feel the difference.
There are lots of reasons to not get a sunroof, but I think this is the least convincing. Yes, there is a small performance detriment from an extra 50 lbs (though I doubt it is that much) near the roof. But so what? Are you trying to set a lap record at Watkins Glen? Does 0.06 seconds off your lap time or 0.003 fewer cornering Gs really make a difference? Let's be honest here, we all have street cars that can be driven on the track. We don't have track cars. If you are actually turning your Blackwing into a track car, and are gutting the interior and adding a cage and fuel cell so you can race wheel to wheel, then more power to you! I can see why that car should not have a sunroof. But for the rest of us who can spare the headroom, the weight/CG penalty of a sunroof is a total non-factor, even if you do HPDEs.

There are lots of reasons to not get a sunroof, but I think this is the least convincing. Yes, there is a small performance detriment from an extra 50 lbs (though I doubt it is that much) near the roof. But so what? Are you trying to set a lap record at Watkins Glen? Does 0.06 seconds off your lap time or 0.003 fewer cornering Gs really make a difference? Let's be honest here, we all have street cars that can be driven on the track. We don't have track cars. If you are actually turning your Blackwing into a track car, and are gutting the interior and adding a cage and fuel cell so you can race wheel to wheel, then more power to you! I can see why that car should not have a sunroof. But for the rest of us who can spare the headroom, the weight/CG penalty of a sunroof is a total non-factor, even if you do HPDEs.
Like I stated before it's truly a princess and a pea. Mathematically yes there's an impact to any car's rigidity and moment arm by adding a sunroof, is the OP or say 99% of the people who will ever read this thread able to sense and purposefully exploit that difference on track in an HPDE? No, almost assuredly not.

Yes. I can absolutely tell the difference when my wife is in my car or not. Mostly because she is yelling at me to slow down.
THIS^^^

I ran some errands with my wife this past Saturday and when we got home I told her I was going to go out again for an aimless ride on my own, and she asked me "what for? ". My mindless response was "so I can drive for a while with the 'Nag' setting turned fully off".

Her response :
Angry Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop