Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V What don't you like about your CT5-V Blackwing?

CT5-V Model
This threw me off too. I thought I was doing something wrong. The XT5 HUD is way more usable. The CT5 HUD in Tour by comparison is practically useless. That said, revs and speed are good enough to get the job done.
you can change what is on the HUD and there is a setting to keep it in that view regardless of mode selected

you can change what is on the HUD and there is a setting to keep it in that view regardless of mode selected

You can sure, but the options are super limited. The XT5 by comparison includes showing what's currently being listened to, etc...

You can sure, but the options are super limited. The XT5 by comparison includes showing what's currently being listened to, etc...
when you switch tracks it pops up what is being listened to then puts it back to the RPM. what else? my RS6 doesn't even do that...

when you switch tracks it pops up what is being listened to then puts it back to the RPM. what else? my RS6 doesn't even do that...
I'm not explaining well. The XT5 shows

Gap distance
Lane keep
Current speed
Pedestrian alert
Cruise control mode / set speed
Active song/radio station
Nav instructions

All at the same time.

The CT5 has the same stuff, but not all at the same time.
It's probably a better user experience? Only show what matters when it matters. But it makes the CT5 feel overly simplified by comparison.

M'eh, a teeny tiny thing that really doesn't matter

I've had my car a week now and thought I would share my impressions. I'm coming from a Chevy SS so the below list has the things that I feel were better (for me) on the Chevy SS. Also, don't get me wrong, I love the 5BW! For every nitpick below there about 10 things that are just awesome about this car so there is no comparison.

The things I knew about before the car arrived:
  • Small gas tank
  • Small trunk for a car this size
  • Back seat headroom
  • No viable option for a trailer hitch. See this thread for further discussion
Here are the things I only discovered once I drove the car for a while. Note, I had no opportunity to see or touch one before mine arrived:
  • The driving position for me is finnicky as others have noted. It would help if the steering wheel would come toward the driver more.
  • The turn signals are not shown in the HUD. For me, the steering wheel blocks my view of the turn signal indicator in the dash. Sometimes I discover I changed lanes a mile ago and it's still blinking...
  • As others have noted, there is a depression in the footwell area creating the sensation of a hump in the floor right where one's foot would rest. It's not really noticeable unless you're cruising on the highway and you take your foot off the gas. It doesn't provide a super comfortable place to rest your foot. I guess the answer is just keep your foot in the gas!
  • I really don't like the A10 shift lever. My main issue is that with my other cars (and frankly nearly every car I have driven for the past 25+ years), when you get in the car and want to go in reverse, you press and hold a button, move the shift lever one notch to the rear, and then let off the brake. In this car, those same actions will move the car forward. I am very cautious about this because I'm afraid someday the muscle memory from other vehicles will kick in and result in disaster.
  • The seats are less comfortable to me than the SS and my 04 GTO before that. I have the intermediate seats. What I notice most is the transition from the pleated area to the smooth area as shown in the picture. The pleated portion has noticeably softer padding than the smooth portion, and that transition really hits my spine in the wrong way. Note, I'm 6'2" with a long torso so YMMV.
1657995318204.png

Again, love this car! Wanted to share some opinions for others who might want to investigate these things.

Congrats, you now drive a Cadillac! 😂 This is totally normal. Embrace it.

I told a friend of mine that my car comes with a free driving school. He asked, "Is that where they teach Cadillac owners to be bad drivers?" I said, "Well, now that you mention it, I heard there's an exercise where you drive with the windshield totally blocked." He was like, "I can believe it."

I told a friend of mine that my car comes with a free driving school. He asked, "Is that where they teach Cadillac owners to be bad drivers?" I said, "Well, now that you mention it, I heard there's an exercise where you drive with the windshield totally blocked." He was like, "I can believe it."
I totally failed that part of the class when I attended! 🤣

My CTS-V1 had a feature that if you left the turn signal on too long, an alert would come up on the radio screen/driver info center. The first time it happened to me, I thought it was hilarious. The second time I thought "oh god, I'm one of them now..."

I've had my car a week now and thought I would share my impressions. I'm coming from a Chevy SS so the below list has the things that I feel were better (for me) on the Chevy SS. Also, don't get me wrong, I love the 5BW! For every nitpick below there about 10 things that are just awesome about this car so there is no comparison.

The things I knew about before the car arrived:
  • Small gas tank
  • Small trunk for a car this size
  • Back seat headroom
  • No viable option for a trailer hitch. See this thread for further discussion
Here are the things I only discovered once I drove the car for a while. Note, I had no opportunity to see or touch one before mine arrived:
  • The driving position for me is finnicky as others have noted. It would help if the steering wheel would come toward the driver more.
  • The turn signals are not shown in the HUD. For me, the steering wheel blocks my view of the turn signal indicator in the dash. Sometimes I discover I changed lanes a mile ago and it's still blinking...
  • As others have noted, there is a depression in the footwell area creating the sensation of a hump in the floor right where one's foot would rest. It's not really noticeable unless you're cruising on the highway and you take your foot off the gas. It doesn't provide a super comfortable place to rest your foot. I guess the answer is just keep your foot in the gas!
  • I really don't like the A10 shift lever. My main issue is that with my other cars (and frankly nearly every car I have driven for the past 25+ years), when you get in the car and want to go in reverse, you press and hold a button, move the shift lever one notch to the rear, and then let off the brake. In this car, those same actions will move the car forward. I am very cautious about this because I'm afraid someday the muscle memory from other vehicles will kick in and result in disaster.
  • The seats are less comfortable to me than the SS and my 04 GTO before that. I have the intermediate seats. What I notice most is the transition from the pleated area to the smooth area as shown in the picture. The pleated portion has noticeably softer padding than the smooth portion, and that transition really hits my spine in the wrong way. Note, I'm 6'2" with a long torso so YMMV.
View attachment 10581

Again, love this car! Wanted to share some opinions for others who might want to investigate these things.

Does your car have a sunroof? What are some things that are big improvements over the SS?

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back