Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Out of state purchase, California registration

DriveOn

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT4-V Blackwing, 2014 CTS Vsport
I'm in California but I have an order for car being delivered in New Jersey. To register a new car it has to be certified emission wise for sale in California. Is this going to be a problem or am I worrying too much?

I'm in California but I have an order for car being delivered in New Jersey. To register a new car it has to be certified emission wise for sale in California. Is this going to be a problem or am I worrying too much?
One thing for sure is, you'll have to get it smog tested. If you drive it to California you'll be past the breakin point so it should pass smog. There's been a couple of cars that didn't pass smog.

I will be driving it from New Jersey to California so that should be cool. I've read that New Jersey follows the California emission standards, CARB. I'm hoping that means I won't have a problem. The possible problem is that we cannot register a car less than two years old unless it is "certified" for sale in California.

I see from spot checking NJ cars in the CT4 Registry that they all have RPO codes:
NE1: 50 state emissions
NE8: EVAP system level 3
NUB: Emissions California
So, I believe we have the green light to proceed. Unless I'm missing something?

I purchased my V3 from out of state back in '18. As a result, I had to register it myself in Texas. Imagine my surprise when I was told that I needed to have an inspection performed before I can register it. This was after an extended wait at the DMV waiting for my number to be called.

I had to leave and have the inspection done then wait again to be called. So yes. definitely get that smog test done first!

I can feel your pain. I'm trying to work out or at least understand the twists and turns towards getting it registered in my state. This morning I went to a private DMV service that I have used in the past for used out-of-state vehicles. They know how to make this work with little grief so I think it's all good.

I’m toward the end of process of registering mine now. You’ll need to have a VIN verification done which can be done by the DMV or CHP or private companies that do it. I went with the latter for speed. You’ll also need a smog check as mentioned and pay any additional sales tax if the rate where you bought is less than your home rate. Last year I did the same process with a new GT350 I trailered back to CA from AZ and it went smoothly even with less than 100mi on the car. Not so for the Cadillac. It failed the smog test with 600mi (I drove it back from AZ) on the car due to O2 monitors not ready. There’s a TSB about this problem I posted in one of the threads several weeks ago. You can try to do the readiness procedure drive cycle in the TSB which I attempted with no luck. You can also talk to the CA smog referee (also mentioned in the TSB) and they may be able to waive the car and issue a smog certificate. If the car has more than 1000 miles on it, the waiver can’t be done and it becomes “a warranty issue” and you’ll have to work with dealer to drive it in a way to activate the monitors. In my case, I stopped driving the car at 630 mi when I scheduled the referee appointments( there’s a phone call appointment after which they will schedule a visit to the nearest available referee location). Monday 11/29 is my in person appointment to have them issue the smog certificate🤞and then complete the nearly 2 month journey. Then I can finally refinance my loan as they require the car to be registered in my home state. Luckily rates have been stable during the delay.

I see from spot checking NJ cars in the CT4 Registry that they all have RPO codes:
NE1: 50 state emissions
NE8: EVAP system level 3
NUB: Emissions California
So, I believe we have the green light to proceed. Unless I'm missing something?
The dealer who placed the order should have selected the smog options(automatic?) based on your home address. It will also trigger a front license plate holder which hopefully still be bagged in the trunk when you pick up the car.

After a terrible past experience, I never buy out of state vehicles living in CA. Some great intel in this thread, including RPO codes and how 50 state legal is not sufficient. My only other piece of ancillary advice: Never listen to an out of state dealer. They will tell you they sell cars to CA residents and the registration process is a piece of cake. Of course, the second the car leaves the lot it is your problem and the story changes.

I'm working with Holman Cadillac. The car was ordered by the dealer with no intention of it being sold in California. And yeah front license plate holder it's listed as one of the RPO codes, I assume they need a front license plate in New Jersey. This car is already built so the VIN is in the Vnet registry with RPO codes.
By the time I get to California I'll have well over 2700 miles on it. So is it possible or even necessary to register the car In New Jersey first?
I thought you needed a drivers license in the state where the car is registered. Also I would wonder about insurance, how that would work out with my agent in California but the car registered in New Jersey?

Last edited:
The simple answer would be that Holman gives you a temporary NJ plate for 30 days, but I can tell you anything in the peoples republic of NJ (I was born and raised there) that is motor vehicle related is going to be a huge issue and the most complicated and restrictive process you can possibly go through. They probably have a law against giving you a temporary plate.

I’m toward the end of process of registering mine now. You’ll need to have a VIN verification done which can be done by the DMV or CHP or private companies that do it. I went with the latter for speed. You’ll also need a smog check as mentioned and pay any additional sales tax if the rate where you bought is less than your home rate. Last year I did the same process with a new GT350 I trailered back to CA from AZ and it went smoothly even with less than 100mi on the car. Not so for the Cadillac. It failed the smog test with 600mi (I drove it back from AZ) on the car due to O2 monitors not ready. There’s a TSB about this problem I posted in one of the threads several weeks ago. You can try to do the readiness procedure drive cycle in the TSB which I attempted with no luck. You can also talk to the CA smog referee (also mentioned in the TSB) and they may be able to waive the car and issue a smog certificate. If the car has more than 1000 miles on it, the waiver can’t be done and it becomes “a warranty issue” and you’ll have to work with dealer to drive it in a way to activate the monitors. In my case, I stopped driving the car at 630 mi when I scheduled the referee appointments( there’s a phone call appointment after which they will schedule a visit to the nearest available referee location). Monday 11/29 is my in person appointment to have them issue the smog certificate🤞and then complete the nearly 2 month journey. Then I can finally refinance my loan as they require the car to be registered in my home state. Luckily rates have been stable during the delay.
Smog referee... what a CA thing to do.

Been too long since I've been out of NJ, but anytime I've talked to out of state dealers, you get a 30 days temp tag to get you home. Insurance should be though your home agent. You probably should take a copy of your insurance card for your selling dealer AND the ride home. Good luck brother!

I brought my shovel and I'm digging this thread back up :)
I just bought a CT4VBW in Reno and will be bringing it back to California Saturday - is the TSB impacting the smog check still valid for newer builds?
I searched my VIN and didn't come back with anything. Thanks!

You will have to have a smog check done to register it and you find out when they plug in their equipment. Even an AutoZone, eg with an OBD II tester should be able to determine if the smog system (O2 monitor) is “ready”.
I haven’t heard if there has been any improvement in the smog readiness of newly built GM vehicles. I did recently receive mail from GM offering $750 to download data from the car possibly related to emissions testing.

Purchased my CT4-VV Blackwing in late December 2021 in Henderson, Nevada. No problem with smog test or Vin verification. My car only had a few hundred miles on it when it passed the smog test.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back