Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V VIR Track Event Raw Notes and Video

CT5-V Model

poor-sha

Seasoned Member
I'm here at VIR and going to try to do a live drop of video as I get out on track along with my raw notes. This is my first outing at speed with the car since finalizing the track alignment and prep.

- When in a corner and you hit a bump it's pretty harsh - almost like you're on the bump stops.
- Best lap 2:06.21
- No lift shift is much smoother than on the C7Z.
- Did an NLS in to 5th and the car slowed dramatically - no idea what happened.
- Brakes require a fair amount of effort, which is like, but it feels like there is an initial delay - pad knock back?
- Top of 5th gear on the back straight at ~160
- Kept hitting the rev limiter - need to shift when you see green in the HUD
- Set tires to 27 psi before going out - came in at 39/38 - aired down to 35
- Tires are howling but balance feels pretty good. Had to work my way up to the limits and don't feel like I'm exploiting all the grip.
- Active Handling worked well and I didn't notice it kicking in.
- 7.3 gallons of fuel in ~20 minutes on track

Session 2 was in two parts due to a black flag all and a hood issue but this is the first part. I had a 991 GT3 as a rabbit and while I could hang with him I also couldn't get away from him so we swapped places a couple of times.

Notes from both parts of session 2 below. Big takeaway is that the front tires are starting to go off which makes me sad. I hope it was just because they were hot.

- Came in because it looked like the hood was moving. I was concerned I hadn't latched it all the way.
- My right knee is killing me from trying to brace on the edge of the phone holder. There really needs to be some better padding there as it digs under your knee cap.
- Didn't notice the issue with suspension harshness this time - that could've been something I goofed up in setting modes for the first session.
- I only notice delay under braking going in to T10, could just be the elevation change?
- First 1/2 the car felt great and was able to catch the GT3 but never get away from it.
- Second 1/2 the front tires really started to go off and the car was pushing. I hope this isn't the end of their useful track life :(
- AH and PTM are starting to get in the way but a lot of that is me being really aggressive getting back to throttle on corner exit.
- Came in to T1 really hot and had a pucker moment.
- Best lap 2:05.66 - definitely 2:04s in the car.

Part 2 of session 2.

Excellent writeup and video. I'd be willing to bet if you used a pyrometer on the front tires, they are far over temp.

Have you had a chance to inspect the fronts? Are they worn? What does the track alignment take front camber to? -2.3?

After watching the Throttle House, ICONS and your PDR vids, I am still convinced the 275 up front is the challenge.

Regarding your knee...how tall are you? I had a similar problem in the Camaro, but resolved it with an aftermarket kneepad. Do you feel the seat gave good support?

So great to see a BW5 out doing what it should! Nicely done :D

Front camber is -2.5 and they are starting to get the typical Michelin taper to the 2nd and 3rd tread blocks.

I'm 6' 2" and I'll be interested to see what you used for a pad. I might just get some that strap to your leg. I think the seats did fine though.

Session 3 is in the books and the good news is that the front tires seem to have recovered now that they cooled off. Another high 2:05 and I briefly put the PTM in Race mode but then I thought better of it.

My main concern right now is the amount of hood movement on the back straight. It is definitely getting air under it and bouncing up and down. For some reason it seems to be more on the driver side.

Session 3 is in the books and the good news is that the front tires seem to have recovered now that they cooled off. Another high 2:05 and I briefly put the PTM in Race mode but then I thought better of it.

My main concern right now is the amount of hood movement on the back straight. It is definitely getting air under it and bouncing up and down. For some reason it seems to be more on the driver side.

Have you checked the rubber bumper stops for the hood? I believe they adjust up and down. That might help with the hood movement.

Did you lock the seatbelt on your body?
It might help with keeping you in one place.
Move the seat almost all the way back. Pull the seatbelt hard to engage it ( some models you pull it all the way out and it will engage a ‘ratchet’ mode). Once the belt is locked on you, move the seat forward until you can’t breathe.

Did you lock the seatbelt on your body?
It might help with keeping you in one place.
Move the seat almost all the way back. Pull the seatbelt hard to engage it ( some models you pull it all the way out and it will engage a ‘ratchet’ mode). Once the belt is locked on you, move the seat forward until you can’t breathe.
Yup, did that. It's really just bracing my legs that is the issue.

Just to wrap up the day I ran a series of 2:05 laps in a row with a best of 2:05.17. There is an issue with the PDR lap time display where it doesn't always update when you turn a new best lap and you have to go look at the data later. In my case I turned a 2:05.9 which shows on the display on the dash, then the next display showed the same best lap time but also showed "+03", then the next lap also showed the same best lap but an improved delta. It was only by pulled the car and looking at the data off the car that I saw the 2:05.1.

Also, even though I've flushed the fluid with Castrol SRF I did have a couple of instances where the clutch didn't return all the way up. It wasn't bad enough to throw a warning on the DIC like with the stock fluid but I did have to pop it up a couple inches with my foot.

All and all the car is holding up well and it really quick and fun. I was chasing a C7 Z06 for a few laps but never caught him. I'm going to try to find him tomorrow to see what tires he's running.

Just to wrap up the day I ran a series of 2:05 laps in a row with a best of 2:05.17. There is an issue with the PDR lap time display where it doesn't always update when you turn a new best lap and you have to go look at the data later. In my case I turned a 2:05.9 which shows on the display on the dash, then the next display showed the same best lap time but also showed "+03", then the next lap also showed the same best lap but an improved delta. It was only by pulled the car and looking at the data off the car that I saw the 2:05.1.

Also, even though I've flushed the fluid with Castrol SRF I did have a couple of instances where the clutch didn't return all the way up. It wasn't bad enough to throw a warning on the DIC like with the stock fluid but I did have to pop it up a couple inches with my foot.

All and all the car is holding up well and it really quick and fun. I was chasing a C7 Z06 for a few laps but never caught him. I'm going to try to find him tomorrow to see what tires he's running.

It looks like you’re driving the wheels off your car , great video ,I am 6.2 also and tend to support myself by spreading my legs out left knee against door panel and right against center console , I usually wear a copper fit knee brace and it fits snugly so my knees don’t get rubbed raw , you know you’ve got it bad when you draw blood from driving your car !

I'm only going to run one more session today and then pack up to head home. A couple of notes from the abbreviated first session (Ferrari challenge car ran off track and we had a long black flag).
- I've determined that I like the actual rear view mirror better than the camera on track. It's just easier for me to see cars approaching with it that way.
- Don't try to push the car until pressures are up to 35 psi. Until then the car feels kind of floaty and I dropped the two outside wheels off in T3 (fast left-hander).

Your PS4S experience is generally what I (and others I'v talked to) have seen. They like to be up to pressure, but not hot. My first lap on them is always the fastest of the session, then they fall off quite a bit. They recover after cooling down. Also, a VERY loud tire at the limit.

For fun I went back through my old data. The last sedan I took to VIR was my F80 M3 with a Dinan stage 1 tune and was on Pirelli scrubs. That car was about 500 lbs lighter but "only" had around 520 HP. My best lap in that car was a 2:05.6.

So despite the fact that 5BW was much heavier and on street tires compared to slicks it still was a 1/2 second faster at VIR. Both cars were manual transmission.

Out of curiosity, did you review The Stig's VIR lap in the 6-speed? I seem to recall him saying he didn't fall below the 130s.on the esses??

Out of curiosity, did you review The Stig's VIR lap in the 6-speed? I seem to recall him saying he didn't fall below the 130s.on the esses??
Haven't seen it - got a link? The climbing esses take a lot of balls and I always give up time there.

Thanks, I didn't remember that video until I saw the water bottle bouncing around :) He's a couple MPH faster but both of us are entering in the low 130s and you drop down to around 110-115 in the middle.

I forgot to ask...any more issues with the clutch not returning up?

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back