Cadillac V-Net

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertising Information
    Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

2006 Tarnished Silver XLR-V

Default Bone Stock or Modify...what would break first?

Though, I am happy to the 443 hp, I do wonder, as you add the D3 intakes, Corsa exhaust, etc. you end up finding the weakest link in the car.

So, as a thread starter, is there value in keeping the car stock, or is there a quick, reversible upgrade that would net some power, without the risk of breaking something?

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

V-Coupe

Default Reversible Mods

Speaking from experience as a former Corvette owner (2 - C5's and 2 - C6's), the easily reversible mods that you mention, air intake and a cat-back exhaust system will not NET enough HP/TQ increase that will cause other drivetrain components to break. You might experience some percieved seat of pants increase in performance, but generally you'll be noticing the increase and change in sounds your V is making! Hopefully, you'll find the added engine music enjoyable. I think where you could potentially run into problems is when you begiin to explore ECM tuning and messing with transmission shift points and torque management. From the factory the settings are fairly conservative and help protect the drivetrain from grenading. There are professionals out there that have the "tuning" down to an art and know what parameters and range(s) to safely adjust to make the most of your mods. Automatic trans cars really do come alive with some careful and conservative trans/tq management tuning. Caution is the keyword, and if your factory warranty is still in effect that is an important consideration. Enjoy!! XmP
    Last edited by xmentalpilot; 08-15-2012 at 05:54 PM.

Current ride: CTS-V Coupe
    Former Corvettes:
    2011 Cyber Gray 4LT Grand Sport Coupe
    2006 Z51 'vert - LeMans Blue
    2004 Z06 - Black
    1998 'vert - 3X Black
    1969 T-Top 350 c.i. - White
    1971 454 'vert - 3X Black