Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Track Mode

StabiliTrak is a response to the car being yawed (it is pointing a different direction than it is actually moving). That system has a variety of tools to bring a car back into control.
Yes..., or as I like to call it, " letting you be silly stupid..., without having to pay the price", or
AKA, Fox bodies @ C&C

FYI - Competitve Mode (Sport - hold button down for 5 sec) and Track - All off are the only modes that provide full engine power at all times.

Guys who drag their cars, Competitive Mode is the preferred mode.
Ya, I wish I had known this the first time I went to the drag strip. I read in the manual that PTM Race2 will yield the most consistent acceleration times, so I went for Track with PTM Race2, which was a mistake. It was that statement in the manual that made me think Race2 allowed the least nanny intervention. But the suspension was WAY too firm in track mode for drag launches. Live and learn.

It's my understanding that competitive mode just turns TC/ESC off and is independent of drive mode, correct?

Agree with @SynisterAZ , this does not work for me. When i set those specific settings in v-mode to Sport, it does not give me an option to double tap to enable PTM. Also, in v-mode setup it disables PTM. I basically have to go to track or race1/2 to get PTM.

HOWEVER, I have had my car in PTM Sport mode forever (I have 20K miles) and I could swear that based on the suspension potential damage thingy and roughness of steering, I always had suspension and steering set to Sport (WITH PTM ability). Last week I went in to change one of the settings in v-mode and ever since I cannot get to PTM Sport without it automatically changing those two parameters to track. If I try and set those two parameters to sport, it disables PTM.

So the only thing that has changed is my car has been in for service and had updates so I am guessing the original program has changed. I was one of the original 250 so that's my only guess. (maybe older cars could do it, but if you have the ecu updated it wont anymore which is why you two have different experiences/opinions).If I remember correctly, @Throat Yogurt you were also in the 250 or shortly thereafter.

Would love to know how to get back to sport because having PTM steering/suspension in sport that changes them to Track mode is way too rough. Sorry I messed with it. And yes, I have tried what you said. doesnt work for me.

I have an original 250 CT5BW with a Manual.

Best Ive been able to settle on mapping PTM to Vmode double -tap is PTM Dry while suspension is in Sport. Good enough for quick access to launch control.

To make things MORE confusing, BW don't have a Competitive Driving Mode, at least from my experience, I've tried sport pushing traction twice, nothing happens in my '22 BW

To make things MORE confusing, BW don't have a Competitive Driving Mode, at least from my experience, I've tried sport pushing traction twice, nothing happens in my '22 BW
They do have it. The timing on the button presses can be tricky, it has to be just right.

That's not true. Go try it, you'll see. Set your Vmode for whatever you want, and you can get PTM with, say, Tour exhaust and Sport steering.
This is correct, this is how it works for my '22 BW at least, I can select V mode, then change suspension, steering etc to tour, but also change my PTM settings

EDIT: I just tested, it will work with Suspension and Steering in Sport and PTM in Dry, but any PTM setting further and they go to track.

Last edited:
Asked about this in another thread but think it got buried: I see a lot of you referencing being able to toggle PTM in any drive mode, are you able to change the PTM slider while in track or sport modes? My car only allows PTM changes in v mode (I’ve included a picture of it not allowing me to make PTM changes in track mode).

I’m thinking this is either a result of (1) my having the base steering wheel that doesn’t have the PTM toggle (though I thought the steering wheels options should come down to aesthetic differences and shortcuts to features rather than change any actual functionality of those features) or (2) a software glitch, but curious to hear thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_1292.jpeg
    IMG_1292.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 23
I've only had my car for a very short time now and I'm pretty tech savvy and familiar with cars, but so far all of these different modes and buttons have me confused, I will admit. Guess I'll have to read the owner's manual section and maybe watch some YouTube videos. Spring Mountain might be in my future...

Same here, EE and I’ve worked on some complicated things from tactical radars to weather radars and satellite systems, using spectrum analyzers, signal generators, PXA..and more. The level of menus and sub menus and system configurations in the BW is daunting

I’m not sure there’s as many modes as people think there might be. It could be a placebo effect. The suspension and engine/shift (and likely braking and steering as well, but can’t confirm that) are tied to the PTM setting. The PTM toggle forces the other settings. The PTM toggle is a quick way to get to a mode without messing with the V-mode sliders. The V-mode is a quick way to get to a frequency used mode, much like Mymode is but without PTM. You can tell what mode you're in by looking at the icons on the dash.

Last edited:
Asked about this in another thread but think it got buried: I see a lot of you referencing being able to toggle PTM in any drive mode, are you able to change the PTM slider while in track or sport modes? My car only allows PTM changes in v mode (I’ve included a picture of it not allowing me to make PTM changes in track mode).

I’m thinking this is either a result of (1) my having the base steering wheel that doesn’t have the PTM toggle (though I thought the steering wheels options should come down to aesthetic differences and shortcuts to features rather than change any actual functionality of those features) or (2) a software glitch, but curious to hear thoughts.

Track drive mode is not the same as PTM and you can only map a PTM mode to Vmode.

You cant edit Track, Tour or Snow/Ice, only Vmode and Mymode.

With the regular steering wheel with out the PTM toggle, I believe you hit the mode button twice to access PTM options and those are somehwhat independent of drive modes.

I’m not sure there’s as many modes as people think there might be. It could be a placebo effect. The suspension and engine/shift (and likely braking and steering as well, but can’t confirm that) are tied to the PTM setting. The PTM toggle forces the other settings. The PTM toggle is a quick way to get to a mode without messing with the V-mode sliders. The V-mode is a quick way to get to a frequency used mode, much like Mymode is but without PTM. You can tell what mode you're in by looking at the icons on the dash.
Was driving in Tour mode this afternoon. Used the toggle to enable PTM to Dry. Steering firmed up, held revs, supsension got stiff, exhaust got loud. I'm assuming I was now in Track Mode with PTM Dry

Was driving in Tour mode this afternoon. Used the toggle to enable PTM to Dry. Steering firmed up, held revs, supsension got stiff, exhaust got loud. I'm assuming I was now in Track Mode with PTM Dry
The dash icon that shows the drive mode should be confirming what mode you are in.

Track drive mode is not the same as PTM and you can only map a PTM mode to Vmode.

You cant edit Track, Tour or Snow/Ice, only Vmode and Mymode.

With the regular steering wheel with out the PTM toggle, I believe you hit the mode button twice to access PTM options and those are somehwhat independent of drive modes.
You can’t use PTM unless you are in Track mode. And you can change PTM modes while in Track.

I've spent a ridiculous amount of time reading this thread and several others, plus the relevant pages in the CT4 Owner's Manual (225 - 233), trying to figure out what the nannies do in the various possible settings. I think the root cause of the problem is a significant ambiguity in the manual. Here's my interpretation, which I put forward not to lecture people who have gone out and tried it and have (diverse) opinions, but to get feedback that might correct a misunderstanding on my part. My car is still in the breakin stage, so I have no actual driving experience. But, I'd rather know in advance what the safety systems will do than try to figure it out on my own when I start enjoying twisty roads.

1. The nannies are completely off for sure only when the TCS/Stabilitrack button is pressed for more than 5 seconds (p 231).

2. "Competitive mode allows less computer control to permit some slide and drift" (p 231). Yet p 232 states that when COMPETITIVE MODE ON appears on the DIC, the traction off light and the Stabilitrack/ESC OFF lights come on. So, are those systems actually off when the off lights are on, or not? This is the core ambiguity that caused hundreds of posts, I think. My tentative interpretation is that in this case the lights mean that the systems are at reduced intervention, rather than fully off. In other words, off means partially off in this case.

3. There is a similar ambiguity for Performance Traction Management. P 231 states that "Traction Control and Stability Control are reduced when moving through the settings". That must mean, in regular English, that they are never fully off in any PTM setting (or possibly they could be reduced to zero only on RACE 2). P 233 states that for WET, DRY and Sport "StabiliTrak/ESC is on" and Traction Control is not mentioned, not that they are reduced progressively. I have to assume that they are on but reduced progressively or none of this makes sense. More worrying to me is RACE 1 and RACE 2 (because I probably would like to use RACE 1 for my most aggressive driving). P 233 states that "Stabilitrak/ESC is off" in both RACE settings, not reduced as implied on p 231. Again, Traction Control is not mentioned. Many people have posted that there is some computer intervention in the RACE settings, so either, once again, the off statements mean only partially off, or possibly Stabilitrak/ESC is really off and the intervention comes from Traction Control.

Last edited:
Here is a pic I took at spring mountain when they spoke about the traction management system. Note:

PTM modes only available in track mode.

Traction control and stability control reduce effect as you move PTM from wet to race 2 but never turn fully off.

By law, the traction control and stability control lights must come on anytime a drive setting reduces those systems from the fully ON setting.

Hope this helps some.

Attachments

• IMG_5663.jpeg
    IMG_5663.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 62

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC