Cadillac V-Net

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertising Information
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

Not yet!

Default 2014 Cadillac CTS-V to Get a Force-Fed LT1 Engine?

2014 Cadillac CTS-V to Get a Force-Fed LT1 Engine?

Rob Loszewski, Site Administrator
    Cadillac V-Net
    February 17, 2013

Motor Trend is reporting that according to their contacts, the next generation 2014 Cadillac CTS-V could be getting some form of a forced induction Gen V LT1 Engine.

The Gen V LT1 just debuted on the 2014 C7 Corvette Stingray, and in naturally aspirated form, puts out 450hp and 450lb-ft of torque.

Supposedly, GM has not made a final decision as to whether they will go the twin-turbo charged or supercharged route, however one form or the other will appear in the CTS-V.

I'll stick my neck out on a limb here and say that I wouldn't be surprised if we see a combination of the Gen V LT1 with some form of the Eaton Roots-Type Supercharger, currently used on the 2013 Corvette ZR1. Now THAT would be a screamer!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014 Cadillac CTS-V to Get a Force-Fed LT1 Engine?-2014chevroletcorvette_47-jpg  
    Rob Loszewski, Owner & Site Administrator
    Cadillac V-Net
    Cadillac XLR Net
    Corvette Action Center
    The Meadery
    Torque Network
    VetteTube

"Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt." - Sun Tzu

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertising Information

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

2013 CTS/V coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    2014 Cadillac CTS-V to Get a Force-Fed LT1 Engine?

Rob Loszewski, Site Administrator
    Cadillac V-Net
    February 17, 2013

Motor Trend is reporting that according to their contacts, the next generation 2014 Cadillac CTS-V could be getting some form of a forced induction Gen V LT1 Engine.

The Gen V LT1 just debuted on the 2014 C7 Corvette Stingray, and in naturally aspirated form, puts out 450hp and 450lb-ft of torque.

Supposedly, GM has not made a final decision as to whether they will go the twin-turbo charged or supercharged route, however one form or the other will appear in the CTS-V.

I'll stick my neck out on a limb here and say that I wouldn't be surprised if we see a combination of the Gen V LT1 with some form of the Eaton Roots-Type Supercharger, currently used on the 2013 Corvette ZR1. Now THAT would be a screamer!
    I hope you are right about the Eaton. I'm not a big fan of turbos.

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

2008 Cadillac STS-V and a 2013 CTS-V

Default Supercharger in the 2015 CTS-V

I agree - I have a 2013 CTS-V here in Europe and the flow of power is phenomenal. I hit 303 kmh (188 in funny money) somewhere outside of Munich a few weeks ago. But it cruises all day long between 200-250 kmh without a problem. I dont like turbos either.

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

'11 V Wagon, ( '13 427 Vette & '14 ATS)

Turbo- or super-charged -- either way is okay with me - so long as the "turbo-lag" is as close to zero as possible. One thing I like about the supercharger is the zero lag when asking for power.

I think the turbo would provide better gas mileage compared to a supercharged engine with the same overall power.

My last experience with turbo cars was my Grand National Buick. Nice rice but the boost lag took some getting used to. With the GN, I needed to plan ahead if I wanted the power now instead of a half a second from now.

Haven't driven one of the new Vsports yet but plan on doing that when the dealer has one they are willing to let me drive. I'd like to see, personally, how the newer turbo systems work.

My previous supercharged car was a Buick Regal GS and it felt pretty good - power was always there - just not all that much in 1999.

My V Wagon is a blast to drive with the supercharged engine.

One last comment - I think the CTS V3 will be called a 2015 model though. If GM is still trying to figure out whether to turbo or super, the V3 will not make it to the showroom until next calendar year and they will call it a 2015.
    Last edited by Tuna; 10-08-2013 at 08:38 AM.
    Tuna
    Author: Crossbow Revenge
    (Buy my book and make me famous.)

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    Turbo- or super-charged -- either way is okay with me - so long as the "turbo-lag" is as close to zero as possible. One thing I like about the supercharger is the zero lag when asking for power.

I think the turbo would provide better gas mileage compared to a supercharged engine with the same overall power.

My last experience with turbo cars was my Grand National Buick. Nice rice but the boost lag took some getting used to. With the GN, I needed to plan ahead if I wanted the power now instead of a half a second from now.

Haven't driven one of the new Vsports yet but plan on doing that when the dealer has one they are willing to let me drive. I'd like to see, personally, how the newer turbo systems work.

My previous supercharged car was a Buick Regal GS and it felt pretty good - power was always there - just not all that much in 1999.

My V Wagon is a blast to drive with the supercharged engine.

One last comment - I think the CTS V3 will be called a 2015 model though. If GM is still trying to figure out whether to turbo or super, the V3 will not make it to the showroom until next calendar year and they will call it a 2015.

I think your point is well taken and is the issue we and the manufacturers are all grappling with - the supercharger is more satisfying all else being equal but all else aint equal cuz it guzzles more than a turbo but a turbo lags.

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

2009 Cadillc CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by rodinoma View Post
    I think your point is well taken and is the issue we and the manufacturers are all grappling with - the supercharger is more satisfying all else being equal but all else aint equal cuz it guzzles more than a turbo but a turbo lags.
    You know how to counter turbolag???? Downshift... Turbo would be more fuel efficient and easier to make big power.. I wouldn't mind a turbo as I am more familiar with how they work. I know almost nothing about superchargers... Well.. I get the gist of it. But if you asked me to rebuild one I'd be lost. bUT I can piece together a turbo on any vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clippers_FTW View Post
    You know how to counter turbolag???? Downshift... Turbo would be more fuel efficient and easier to make big power.. I wouldn't mind a turbo as I am more familiar with how they work. I know almost nothing about superchargers... Well.. I get the gist of it. But if you asked me to rebuild one I'd be lost. bUT I can piece together a turbo on any vehicle.

But what if you are driving an automatic?

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

But what if you are driving an automatic?
    When driving: Down shift it also (with the paddles if it's got them) so the engine is at an RPM where lag is vitually zero. Then punch it. Worked on my Grand National many years ago.

At a stop light: Hold the brake and bring in throttle until you see a little boost then side step the brake peddle.
    Tuna

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

When driving: Down shift it also (with the paddles if it's got them) so the engine is at an RPM where lag is vitually zero. Then punch it. Worked on my Grand National many years ago.

At a stop light: Hold the brake and bring in throttle until you see a little boost then side step the brake peddle.

I know there are ways to juice the throttle to get the effect but its not something you are going to do constantly in daily driving- which is why they came up with the idea of a bi-turbo - all gets very complicated which is why supercharging is such an elegant solution except for the gas consumption.

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

I know there are ways to juice the throttle to get the effect but its not something you are going to do constantly in daily driving- which is why they came up with the idea of a bi-turbo - all gets very complicated which is why supercharging is such an elegant solution except for the gas consumption.
    If you start with a big enough engine then turbo it, the displacement mitigates the lag some. Twin-turbos are a big help also as 2 small turbos take a lot less time to spool up and the lag is much reduced.

Back in WWII, the big piston engine fighters sometimes had turbo-supercharged engines with the turbo feeding the supercharger - complex but it provided the power needed for high altitude work. The fighter pilots probably didnt' notice any lag as they never let those engines idle except on the ground.
    Tuna

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

If you start with a big enough engine then turbo it, the displacement mitigates the lag some. Twin-turbos are a big help also as 2 small turbos take a lot less time to spool up and the lag is much reduced.

Back in WWII, the big piston engine fighters sometimes had turbo-supercharged engines with the turbo feeding the supercharger - complex but it provided the power needed for high altitude work. The fighter pilots probably didnt' notice any lag as they never let those engines idle except on the ground.

What you say is logical and I agree -

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

2009 Cadillc CTS-V

we also have to remember these are not the same turbo's as yesteryear.... no more journal bearing turbo's... we have ball bearing twin scrolls now a days. They spool up a hell of a lot faster now a days. Hell even the awesome gt35r turbo has been replaced by the newer gtx35r. I've expirenced turbo lag... And you would when you put a large turbo on a small engine (gt35r on 4g63). Large turbo on large engine (6.2l) would just be fun.

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clippers_FTW View Post
    we also have to remember these are not the same turbo's as yesteryear.... no more journal bearing turbo's... we have ball bearing twin scrolls now a days. They spool up a hell of a lot faster now a days. Hell even the awesome gt35r turbo has been replaced by the newer gtx35r. I've expirenced turbo lag... And you would when you put a large turbo on a small engine (gt35r on 4g63). Large turbo on large engine (6.2l) would just be fun.

If you say so. Your technical knowledge far surpasses my seat of the pants....

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

2009 Cadillc CTS-V

If you say so. Your technical knowledge far surpasses my seat of the pants....
    Alot of trial and error... 4 different turbo setup's on my Evo. Spent more in transfer cases and clutches than I did in mods.

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

2009 Cadillc CTS-V

do we know how much they are going to go for?