Cadillac V-Net

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertising Information
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

2011 Red CTS-V manual http://tbuckets.lefora.com/

As much as I enjoy the feeling of high boost at low rpm that a positive displacement blower gives, the down stream components (clutch, trans, rear end) don't like it. I speak from the experience of building hot rods and engines, and if those down stream components can handle and give good longevity for a 600 hp positive displacement blower set up, they would offer the same reliability at 800 hp on a turbo engine. A centrifugal compressor is very linear in boost build up, thus the drivetrain doesn't have to handle the low rpm torque of the PD blower. A turbo also converts wasted heat energy for driving the compressor instead of using the engine's power to spin the compressor, so improved fuel mileage. Modern waste gated smaller turbos with ceramic blades offer less inertia thus less lag in spooling up.

So, my ideal V would be one that weighs in at <3000 lbs, and turbo charged. Weight is the real enemy for performance, next to my Track-T my V is the slow and mellow car. The Track-T sports 526 hp @ 5700 rpm but only weighs 1790 lbs. An honest 9 second street driven car with a decent idle and good street manners. If it weighed 3500 lbs and could still do a 9.7, then it would have a crappy idle and nasty street manners due to the engine needing to be built to over 1000 hp.

Shave the weight, don't need as much hp.
    Bob
    516 lb/ft @ 2800
    http://tbuckets.lefora.com/

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

2009 Cadillc CTS-V

I wish there were more information on the 3rd gen V. Release date would be nice to know. I know when they come out there will be plenty of v2's for sale.. but I just cant wait that long. Anything less than a v8 would be a fail

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

'11 V Wagon, ( '13 427 Vette & '14 ATS)

Default Lt4, 620 hp, 650 tq

GM/Chevy inadvertantly leaked a couple of numbers on the new LT4 supercharged engine for the 2015 ZO6 Corvette - 620 HP and 650 #-Ft of torque.

If this is the engine the CTS V3 gets, that will be something.
    Tuna
    New avatar - my latest novel
    Antiques To Die For

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

2009 Cadillc CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    GM/Chevy inadvertantly leaked a couple of numbers on the new LT4 supercharged engine for the 2015 ZO6 Corvette - 620 HP and 650 #-Ft of torque.

If this is the engine the CTS V3 gets, that will be something.
    Thats a lot of power. More than I need. I wont be able to afford one new. I'll just buy the v2 and rock that for a few years lol

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clippers_FTW View Post
    Thats a lot of power. More than I need. I wont be able to afford one new. I'll just buy the v2 and rock that for a few years lol

"Need" has nothing to do with it for me - it's more of a "Want".

Horsepower is addictive.
    Tuna
    Antiques To Die For

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

2009 Cadillc CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    "Need" has nothing to do with it for me - it's more of a "Want".

Horsepower is addictive.
    Do you know what size it is going to be?

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

Do you know what size it is going to be?
    I assume the new V-Series CTS will get the same basic engine as the ZO6 Vette - 6.2 L, 620 HP and 650 TQ.
    Tuna
    Antiques To Die For

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

2008 Cadillac STS-V and a 2013 CTS-V

I think you are right and it would make sense - CAFE requirements are crushing the viability of big V8 engines and there is no way Cadillac and Corvette are going to build different engines for what is essentially the same job - between Z06s and CTS-Vs that probably means a production run of about 5k engines a year - the next generation of this engine will probably be under 5.0 liters of displacement and will inevitably be supercharged (doubtful) or turbocharged (probable)

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

2009 Cadillc CTS-V

everyone is going the turbocharged route with smaller engines.. more fuel efficient and can still make the power. makes a lot of sense.. I've owned 3 turbo cars and I loved them. I'm "about" to own my 1st supercharged car. I know that supercharger scavenges power from the engine to make more power while a turbo takes wasted exhaust gases and makes more power... idk.. i prefer turbo's.. but ask me again in a month.

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

Not yet!

everyone is going the turbocharged route with smaller engines.. more fuel efficient and can still make the power. makes a lot of sense.. I've owned 3 turbo cars and I loved them. I'm "about" to own my 1st supercharged car. I know that supercharger scavenges power from the engine to make more power while a turbo takes wasted exhaust gases and makes more power... idk.. i prefer turbo's.. but ask me again in a month.
    My daily driver is a twin-turbo charged car, and I love it, but the only thing I don't like is the turbo-lab driving around the city. That tends to get annoying after a while.
    Rob Loszewski, Owner & Site Administrator
    Cadillac V-Net
    Cadillac XLR Net
    Corvette Action Center
    The Meadery
    Torque Network
    VetteTube

"Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt." - Sun Tzu

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertising Information

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

2009 Cadillc CTS-V

I know all about turbo lag.. I had a 35r on an evo... If i was crusing on the freeway at low speed then floored it.. it would go absolutely nowhere.. but I dont mind shifting.. drop it a couple gears and the thing took off like a bat out of hell lol.. i can see how that would get annoying with city driving.