Cadillac V-Net

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertising Information
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

'11 V Wagon, ( '13 427 Vette & '14 ATS)

Default PS2 tires and cold weather

There's a thread on a Corvette forum (CAC) about Extreme Summer Performance tires and cold weather. The gofaster Vettes get the Goodyear SuperCar tire or the Michelin PS2 - similar to the tires on the V2. I'm here to tell you that when the tire and road temps drop below 40, there ain't a lot of traction in these tires.

It looks like the Heartland is going to be locked into several days of 40 and below temps. I drove the V in to work this morning at 23 with a little ice and snow still on the roads. Not too bad - just didn't use much throttle!

Good thing for me, the really cold winters here don't last that long.
    Tuna
    Author: Crossbow Revenge
    (Buy my book and make me famous.)

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

2006 XLR-V, 2011 CTS-V Coupe

Living in the Chicagoland area, I don't drive any of my 'toys' in the winter, so I can't comment on the traction issue in cold weather. I'm just glad I have the Expedition 4WD for our winter weather. Maybe Michelin should make studded PS2's for you guys that don't have much of a winter.

Happy New Year, Tuna. Pray for warm weather--I am!!

Cubby558
    'If you want to blend in, take the bus'

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

Hey,

We have one 'regular' car and 2 toys in the garage. Both toys have Michelin PS2 tires and neither have good traction when it's cold and no traction on ice or snow. I'm not sure anybody makes an "all season" tire in the sizes for the V and I know that no one makes all season tires from my Vette.

When push comes to shove, I make my wife drop me off and pick me up at work in her Volt - it seems to handle the cold pretty well. If the snow/ice gets too deep around here, we both call in sick and/or work from home. Before we got the Volt, we had 2 Vettes and the V in the garage - called in sick a lot.
    Tuna

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

2011 CTS-V Sedan (V-Lab Car)

I picked up a set of Pirelli Sottozeros but haven't put them on yet, will update once I've tried them out.

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

2006 XLR-V, 2011 CTS-V Coupe

Wish I had that option, but I can't call myself. Owning a family business does have its perks, but you also have to be there all the time. The only way we don't make it, is if there is a blizzard, then nobody is going anywhere anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    ............................................................ If the snow/ice gets too deep around here, we both call in sick and/or work from home. Before we got the Volt, we had 2 Vettes and the V in the garage - called in sick a lot.
    Cubby558
    'If you want to blend in, take the bus'

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

I should have taken that "option" this morning. Weather guessers called for a light dusting of snow this morning between 8 and 11, then it going away. Well, we have 1/2 inch of powder on the streets and parking lots now and there is a light snow falling still. Weather guessers now say it will snow like this until 3 PM here. Not good! I drove the V Wagon this morning expecting an okay drive home. We'll see.
    Tuna

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

No problems. The snow stopped by 2 PM and the sun came out and all the fresh snow on the streets melted to water. Messy but not slick.
    Tuna

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

2011 CTS-V Sedan (V-Lab Car)

No problems. The snow stopped by 2 PM and the sun came out and all the fresh snow on the streets melted to water. Messy but not slick.
    Good to hear you got home safe.

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

About 3 years ago, I had my V1 at work when an ice storm hit. The company didn't release us from work right away so when they did, there was almost 1/4 inch of ice everywhere. It took me 45 minutes to drive the V1 home and it's only 7 miles from my house to my office.

I had changed out the GY SuperCar tires to GY F1 GS D3 tires a few months before and they got me home. It was not fun but I made it.

Around Oklahoma, snow storms can quickly become ice storms and leave you with no easy way to get home. This time, it didn't happen.
    Tuna

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

Slogged through the slush this morning in the V Wagon. 33 degrees and a mix of sleet, snow, & rain so the streets were a mess. These PS2 tires don't like it but they got me to work. It's always interesting to ease into the throttle in 2nd gear and slide sideways because the tires don't hook.

Supposed to be 40 this afternoon - the slush will be melted by the time I have to drive home.

I'll be glad when Spring really gets here and the temps stay above freezing!
    Tuna

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

Good time to add to this thread - Installed Pilot Super Sports on the Vwagon back in June. Temps are now down in the 30's again in the Heartland and PSS's are still "summer" tires and definitely not ice and snow tires.

We have been getting sleet, snow and freezing rain the past 3 days, so the V has spent most of the time in the garage. Ditto the Vette. Lucky for me, I have enough vacation time to stay home when the streets turn to white here.
    Tuna

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

2009 Cadillc CTS-V

unrelated but.. I had ps2's all the way around on my EVO and I absolutely loved them. Lucky for me I live in socal and have no need for winter tires lol

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clippers_FTW View Post
    unrelated but.. I had ps2's all the way around on my EVO and I absolutely loved them. Lucky for me I live in socal and have no need for winter tires lol
    Don't get me wrong, I love the Michelin PS2 and PSS tires. They stick to the road and last a long time for a low tread wear rated tire - it's just that they ain't that good in the cold (<40) and the suck on snow and ice. Here in the heartland, we get a little of the white stuff now and then (some coming later this week). If the streets are slick here, I'll probably take vacation and just stay home.

My Vette has PS2 tires and my V has PSS tires - neither are good on the white stuff and I'd just as soon not let other drivers have a shot at hitting either of them.

A few years ago, I have GY F1 GS D3's on my V1 and they were actually okay on the white stuff. I chalk that up to the "V" tread pattern on the tires and they were summer performance tires. If GY make D3s in the V or C6 sizes, I might be tempted to give them another try.
    Tuna

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

2009 Cadillc CTS-V

Don't get me wrong, I love the Michelin PS2 and PSS tires. They stick to the road and last a long time for a low tread wear rated tire - it's just that they ain't that good in the cold (<40) and the suck on snow and ice. Here in the heartland, we get a little of the white stuff now and then (some coming later this week). If the streets are slick here, I'll probably take vacation and just stay home.

My Vette has PS2 tires and my V has PSS tires - neither are good on the white stuff and I'd just as soon not let other drivers have a shot at hitting either of them.

A few years ago, I have GY F1 GS D3's on my V1 and they were actually okay on the white stuff. I chalk that up to the "V" tread pattern on the tires and they were summer performance tires. If GY make D3s in the V or C6 sizes, I might be tempted to give them another try.
    How much are snow tires? I've never had the need to look that type of infomation up.

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clippers_FTW View Post
    How much are snow tires? I've never had the need to look that type of infomation up.
    Don't know. Never looked for any for my V. Probably need a different set of wheels as most snow tires are skinnier than the summer performance tires that come on the V.
    Tuna