Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertising Information
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

2016 ATS-V Sedan, 2016 ATS-V Coupe

Well...
    (sigh)
    ...tomorrow's the big day. I'm going into Bunnin Cadillac to put down my deposit on an ATS-V.

Based on my experience in that new Yukon last week in MI and reading what "Tuna" and "~tc~" had to say about the OE navigation system, I decided to upgrade to IO6 which adds the navi and forces upgrade to the Bose 10-speaker sound system. I also decided to go for that because, when I found out Y61, the "Advanced Security Package" is not available as a standalone option and requires both the "Luxury Package" and the "Driver Awareness Package", I took Y61 off my list. I'll take the money for that and use it on the navi. While I want an ATS-V, I do have a budget and I don't need a "luxury package" on a car that's already supposed to be luxurious. Also, I don't need a bunch of electronics to keep me attentive behind the wheel. Besides, McGard makes better locks than GM puts on any of its cars.

While I can hardly wait to own an ATS-V and I have nothing but positive stuff to say about Bunnin Cadillac, I expected more from GM in how it runs the Cadillac ordering process.

My dealer still can't get pricing on any ATS-V optional equipment, in spite of Cadillac putting out press releases saying pricing has been released and answering media questions via email that pricing has been released.

Another thing....I can't get Cadillac to explain why a car with run-flat tires has a tire inflation kit. Actually, I guess the real question is: why does all the information from dealers say the cars come with run-flats when Cadillac's early releases on the ATS-V said it has non-run-flat tires?

Sheesh.

Don't they get it that those who buy cars costing 60 to 100 large or more expect to get accurate and timely information from the car's manufacturer about cost.

It torques me that so many of the ATS-V's options are tied together.
    You can't get a steering column lock, a locking fuel door, the shielded alarm system and wheel locks unless you also order two other, costly option packages.

Cadillac told me recently that one reason for the ATS-V is to offer people who have wanted into the V-series experience, but can't afford the CTS-V, an entry-level car. Well, darn it, even in the V-series, "entry level" may mean a customer would like the best security equipment the mfg offers without having to order the car "loaded" with a ton of driver awareness stuff.

Ok. I'm done ranting.

Tomorrow afternoon, it's off to the dealer with my checkbook. My checks have printed on them "Money talks...mine says "goodbye".

Ain't that the freakin' truth.
    Last edited by Hib Halverson; 04-01-2015 at 10:41 AM. Reason: added content

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    Hi Hib,
    (snip)

Oh, I did try navigating once using a SmartPhone - spent too much time looking at the phone than the road. Didn't care for that aspect.
    Well, all I have is a dumb phone. I tried to navigate with it one time and ended up back were I started. But...that was a bar, so I went in and had another beer. As I was working a nice chocolate stout, I realized the arrow on the screen of my flip phone was the cursor not an arrow telling me which way to go.

So I went across the street to a convenience store and bought a road map.

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

'11 V Wagon, ( '13 427 Vette & '14 ATS)

Quote Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
    Tomorrow afternoon, it's off to the dealer with my checkbook. My checks say "Money talks...mine says "goodbye".

Ain't that the truth.
    Bout Time!

Or is this an April Fools comment?

Nanny Package - You can turn most of that stuff off. I found the lane excursion seat shaker annoying and turned that off as most of the 2-lanes I drive on around here are so bad I put 2 tires on the centerline all the time. Having half the seat shake got real annoying real fast. I still have the front and rear proximity warnings on. They don't bother me that much.

Bose - good sound system. Susan had me upgrade our home to Bose Acoustimass 10 this week. If you like bass, you'll like this system!

Back to the coffee and the news.
    Tuna
    New avatar - my latest novel
    Antiques To Die For

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    Bout Time!

Or is this an April Fools comment?
    No foolin'. Going to the dealer after lunch

Nanny Package - You can turn most of that stuff off. I found the lane excursion seat shaker annoying and turned that off as most of the 2-lanes I drive on around here are so bad I put 2 tires on the centerline all the time. Having half the seat shake got real annoying real fast. I still have the front and rear proximity warnings on. They don't bother me that much.
    What annoys me about the "awareness package" is its cost. I'm not paying over a grand for a system which I just turn off.

Bose - good sound system. Susan had me upgrade our home to Bose Acoustimass 10 this week. If you like bass, you'll like this system!
    Actually, I'm not all about the bass. It may be because, for my age, I have very good hearing. Also, car audio at the OE level has gotten so good that, base sound systems provide outstanding audio quality. Back when I bought the 95 and the 04 Corvettes, I took Bose audio systems in those cars. Before I ordered the '12, I had driven/ridden in C6es with base sound systems and they were great, so we ordered our '12 w/o the expensive Bose. The "base radio" sound so good we thought, why spend the money and, turns out, we made the right decision.

I was going to do the same thing with the ATS-V, but then, I found out that, to get the navi, you have to take the Bose radio so, I began to think: if you've I've gone that far I might as well spend a little more to get the trick aluminum pedals, the HID headlights and get the "Luxury Package". A "universal home remote" is included, too, but we have Corvettes in the garage, and, thus, will not need to open the garage door remotely from inside that car. Bottom line, I added the Y91 Luxury Package

Back to the coffee and the news.
    Speaking of "news" did you see what NASCAR did to Ryan Newman's team in Cup. Docked him 75 pts and fined 125,000 bucks.
    Yikes!

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

Speaking of "news" did you see what NASCAR did to Ryan Newman's team in Cup. Docked him 75 pts and fined 125,000 bucks.
    Yikes!
    Yes. It was in the paper this morning here and I saw something about the "bleeding" issue on line earlier. Seems Roger Penske got wind of this and flatly told his teams that they would not be messing with the tires. Then the news breaks that Ryan Newman's team was caught doing this.

NASCAR ought to allow pressure limiting valve stems or tire warmers so the teams don't have to play tricks with super low tire pressures or "bleeding" the tires.
    Tuna
    Antiques To Die For

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

Ah...Ryan Newman drives the 31 Caterpillar Chevrolet for Richard Childress not a Ford for Penske.

Childress is an long-time Cup owner and former driver. I betcha he knew what was going on. His team just got caught.

oops.

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

Ok...I done it. Put my moneys down on a 2016 ATS-V!

Well, actually, I gave the dealer a deposit but we decided to not place the order until Cadillac releases all the pricing...just in case one of these options includes some late-introduction unobtanium muffler bearing as standard equipment and the price goes too far out of sight.

But, you know, I'm still ranting about Cadillac's screwy equipment groups.

I went down to Bunnin Cadillac, today, figuring to order the HUD and the "Luxury" package, but, it turns out, if you order the Luxury package separately and not in conjunction with the "Safety and Security" package (which, I might add is a further combination of the "advanced security" package and the "driver awareness" package) you cannot have the HUD. WTF?

I have to say that Juan Miller, the person who builds all the orders at Bunnin Chevrolet/Cadillac, was very helpful and patient with me and guiding me though the confusing labyrinth that is Cadillac's option list. If you want to order a Chevy or a Caddy, Juan is the go-to guy.

Anyway, on learning I can't have an HUD if I want the "Luxury" package as a standalone, I was exasperated, so I "threw in the towel" and dropped the Y91 Luxury Package from the order. I went with just the Y26 uplevel Bose sound system w. navi along with the HUD, which, when ordered by itself, without Luxury and Safety/Security packages, is available.

Here's another weird one for ya: last week, each time Juan emailed me a tentative order, the WE2 Recaro Seats was on the order, but I never put them on the list. Turns out that the base seats are only available with black interiors. If you want either of the other two ATS-V interiors, the Recaros are required. Since I'm not going to track this car and I thought my Wife, the Fairest Sandra the Red, would not want stiff seating with high side bolsters, I was going to go with the base seats. Though another quirk in Cadillac's optional equipment offerings, I'm going to buy Recaros. Hope she likes 'em.

I wish Cadillac didn't have this love affairwith equipment groups and made available more of their options on a standalone basis.

Hey...I'm most interested in how a 464-hp engine in a 3700-lb small sedan feels accelerating on a long freeway on ramp. I want to have killer chassis and brakes so I can go roast BMW M3s and M4s on Route 33 up over the mountains and out towards Maricopa. Who the heck needs a "driver awareness" package to do that?

Speaking of American "iron" whipping-ass on BMWs, the ATS-V, is going to be one of the more U.S. contented of American cars. The engine, automatic transmission and drive axle are all made in USA. The car is assembled in Lansing MI.

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

This week, the Fairest Sandra the Red and I are in NYC for a vacation/sightseeing trip. We visited the 9/11 Memorial and Museum. We had beers at O'Harra's the famed bar adjacent to the WTC site. We went to a Yankees game (they lost), we went to the Brooklyn Brewery (a great brown ale, they have), we had shopportunities at Bloomingdale's and Tiffany's, we had dinner at PJ Clarke's and, finally, we visited an FDNY station on 8-Av., home to Engine 54, Ladder 4 and Battalion 7, to pay our respects to the brave firefighters of the FDNY. Fifteen firefighters from that station were killed on 9/11/01. It was very sobering to stand in front of the wall inside the station which had the pictures of all 15 of those guys. If that wasn't enough, there were plaques on the wall honoring the memory of five other firefighters from that station who had made the supreme sacrifice since 1973. Reminds all of us that firefighting is a very dangerous job no matter what the cause of the fire.

While we were on this trip, I got an email from my new best friend at Bunnin Cadillac, Juan Miller, saying that he finally had pricing for options and that the list of RPOs I want on our ATS-V will run about $5000 and change.

But, you know...I'm still having reservations about the navi which comes with CUE. "Tuna" and I have had several off-line communications about his experiences with the system in his ATS which, I must add, were pretty good.

That said, I spent an hour last night reading recent road tests of cars with CUE along with reviews of the CUE package, itself, by some techie web sites. The prevailing opinion is that CUE is not an easy system to learn or use and that the navigation system option is not very well executed compared to the typical, popularly-priced Garmin hand-held Navi. RPO Y26, the upgrade to CUE that gets you the navigation system is about a thousand bucks. I could buy half a dozen Garmins for that so...I'm still a little hesitant.

I've got a couple of days to think more about that before I go into the dealer and–now that I have official pricing–place the order.

Post Thanks / Like

One - the reviews are based on people who only have the car for a short time and don't set it up to their preferences. You can see this in the reviews - people who have reviewed other Caddyshack or spent more time in the car have a more positive review. Spend A LITTLE time with it getting it set up how you like it, and it's worlds better IMHO.

Two - the handhelds can be a real pain in the rear. They obviously aren't integrated with the stereo, so you kind of have to choose - music or nav. You have to take it down and hide it every time you park. The screen is not even half as big. Also, doesn't getting the nav get you other things like backup camera, forward camera if you get the carbon package, etc? I'm guessing you decided not to go with the Performance Data Recorder?

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

After emailing off-line with "Tuna", reading your post ~tc~ and talking more with my Wife about how she uses a GPS, I'm keeping Y26 on my list.

'Preciate the input, folks!

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

Was at Bunnin Chevrolet/Cadillac yesterday afternoon and had Juan Miller put the order in. It's #SNMVWK.

It will be a Crystal White ATS-V sedan with the 8-spd automatic, red brake calipers, Recaro seats, the navigation system and the 10-spkr sound system.

Had one more problem with Cadillac's odd availability of options. We wanted the Light Platinum interior, but when Juan went to order the car that way he could not. Turns out to get any interior color other than black, you also have to order the Y91 :Luxury Package" but, when you order that, you cannot have the UV6 Head-Up Display as a standalone option. If you order Y91 and, also, want UV6 you must order another of Cadillac's packages the PCW "Safety and Security Package" and that requires the Y65 "Driver Awareness" Package which forces all the "nanny" devices to protect stupid drivers from themselves. The ATS-V is supposed to be a "driver's" sports sedan. Real drivers don't need a lot of annoying electronics to make them aware.

My solution? I ordered a black interior. Got my Recaros, my HUD and no freakin' nannies!

I can hardly wait to get the car! I'll break the engine in for 500 miles, change to some premium synthetic engine oil then go hunting BMW M3s.

Thanks to Juan Miller at Bunnin Cadillac for helping me navigate the sometimes difficult ordering process.

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

Was at Bunnin Chevrolet/Cadillac yesterday afternoon and had Juan Miller put the order in. It's #SNMVWK.
    (snip)
    I can hardly wait to get the car! I'll break the engine in for 500 miles, change to some premium synthetic engine oil then go hunting BMW M3s.

Thanks to Juan Miller at Bunnin Cadillac for helping me navigate the sometimes difficult ordering process.
    Congratulations!
    Tuna
    Antiques To Die For

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

Dropped by Bunnin Cadillac today to see if GM accepted the order and I was told...no news.

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

Well....(sigh)...not much to report on the Little V-Blog. I wrote the dealer a deposit check and placed my order but, as yet, Cadillac has not accepted the order.

In the meantime, as you all can see elsewhere on the V-net the mainstream road test magazines and web sites are starting to test ATS-Vs. They all seem to love the car...except for the CUE system.

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

Wow.

Looked at the calendar, today, and realized it's been a month since I put down my deposit and Cadillac still has not returned any information on my ATS-V order other than an order number.

I've emailed Cadillac's media contact, David Caldwell, several times asking about both the ordering situation and the confusion about the car either having run-flat tires or not having them, and I never get a reply. I guess that says something about the GM assessment of the V-Net's relevancy. I would have thought GM would be a little more interested in responding.