Cadillac V-Net

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertising Information
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
    Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

'11 V Wagon, ( '13 427 Vette & '14 ATS)

I guess my old black CTS V got your attention.

Let's just hope Cadillac doesn't start using the old Oldsmobile tag line of 'not being your father's car.'

Glad to read that both your ATS Vs are performing as they should now. It's a shame it took so long.
    Tuna
    Author: Crossbow Revenge
    (Buy my book and make me famous.)

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

2016 ATS-V Sedan, 2016 ATS-V Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    I guess my old black CTS V got your attention.
    I totally remember that car and the little "test" run we took.

Let's just hope Cadillac doesn't start using the old Oldsmobile tag line of 'not being your father's car.'
    I guess that would be even worse than the silly "Dare Greatly" campaign they are currently using.

Glad to read that both your ATS Vs are performing as they should now.
    Right now, I'm holding my breath with fingers x'ed.

It's a shame it took so long.
    "Tuna" gets a Friday afternoon "Beacon of Reality" Award.

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

I've been thinking about brake pads.

While I don't having any significant complaints about the OE pads on ATS-Vs, other than brake dust making me either wash the wheels more frequently or, if I'm lazy, living with dusty wheels, based on my past experience with Porterfield R4-S pads on my hot rod 4th Gen Camaro, I'm considering swapping the stock pads for a set of Porterfields.

I contacted Tim Gray at Porterfield Enterprises for some information about what he offers for the Brembo calipers used on ATS-Vs. Here what I found out. For high performance and heavy duty street duty, the Porterfield R4-S compound ia a top performer. With the R4-S compound offering a friction level of up to .41, this is an amazingly fast stopping brake pad. Simply put, they offer an impressive increase in stopping ability with little change in pedal effort. The R4-S is perfect for everyday street driving while also being capable of enduring the most severe use without fade.

Am I going to put a set of R4-Ses on the Blue BMW Buster?

Stay tuned....
    Last edited by Hib Halverson; 07-23-2017 at 05:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

Another cool little upgrade I did to my ATS-V Coupe the other day is install a Continental Elite Poly-V Belt on the LF4s accessory drive. I've been a fan of ContiTechi's premium serpintine belt product since before it owned the brand. The design was pioneered by the old Goodyear Engineered Products Division back in the mid-90s and was sold as the "Gatorback" Belt. The name came from the unusual helical cogged back side. These belts ran cooler and lasted longer because the "helicog" pattern on the back allowed it to flex easier. With any rubber product, flexing generates heat so, if you make it easier for the material to flex, less heat is generated.

In the late '00s Goodyear spun off Engineered Proeducts. It became "Veyance Technologies" but was acquired by ContiTech which is part of Continental AG, the German auto parts congolmerate, in 2015. ContiTech relaunched the product as the "Continental Elite Belt" and it features a revised, variable helicog design which, not only is cogged in a helical pattern but the cogs vary in size which tends to reduce accessory drive noise.

The Elite Belt I installed (PN 4060787) is a 78.7-in, 6-rib belt and, using a GearWrench Serpintine Belt Tool Kit (PN 89000), I had the Elite Belt on the accessory drive in the Blue BMW Buster in all of ten minutes.

Frankly, it was hard to say if the noise level from the front of the engine changed. I'd need some special equipment to measure that, however, ContiTech supplied some test data they developed from a test of an Elite belt against those from the three leading aftermarket belt suppliers which seems to indicate these Elite belts are quieter. To view that noise data, click here.

So, for a new V or an old one, if you need to replace your serpintine belt, take a look at the Continental Elite Belt.
    Last edited by Hib Halverson; 08-07-2017 at 10:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

V-Series Cadillac(s)

Besides writing this ATS-V Blog, another task I've taken on for the V-Net is producing product evaluations. Several weeks ago, I submitted a story on Sylvania's aftermarket headlight bulbs for ATSes and ATS-Vs built without the HID headlamp option.

I've written headlight bulb tests in the past, but have been careful to avoid the cheap junk headlight stuff sold at low cost seemingly all over the Internet. A lot of that stuff exists only to give cars "blue" headlights so others will think the car's owner has HID or LED lighting which, in some factions of the automotive enthusiast community, is some dumb-assed status symbol .

Problem is: a lot of those products, while they may emit the coveted bluish color, really suck as headlights because of poor design or substandard materials. The attitude of some of the vendors who sell that stuff is: so what if these bulbs don't improve the car's lighting in night driving situations? So what if they emit tons of glare which, at best, annoys oncoming driver and can be unsafe? Your car has that HID/LED look. Everyone on the road will know you're cool. What more do you want?

Well...first, I want lights which work well and don't present a problem to other drivers. Aftermarket headlamp bulbs which do that cost a lot to develop something none of the operations which sell cheap blue bulbs on eBay can afford. As a result, it's been pretty rare that I've done articles on headlight bulbs and, when I do, they are about products which come from aftermarket companies with adequate product development resources as well as a long-standing reputations for quality lighting products.

Last Spring, the people at Osram Sylvania sent the V-Net a couple sets of their "Silverstar" bulbs and I spent a month or so testing them in the "Blue BMW Buster" our '16 ATS-V Coupe. Of the two, the "Silverstar Ultra" and the "Silverstar ZXE", both had better "downroad" lighting compared to the stock headlight bulbs, which is the most important feature of an aftermarket headlight upgrade. Both had color temperature shifts more towards the blue end of the spectrum which improves the clarity with which the driver sees at night. As for that "blue look" oncoming drivers see? If that's important, then the ZXE is the way to go because it is just a little "bluer" than the Ultra and has nearly the same improvment in downroad lighting. If you want the best downroad lighting performance, however; the Silverstar Ultra has a slight edge. There's more about these bulbs in the product review on these bulbs elsewhere on the V-Net.

With our testing complete, I left the Silverstar Ultras in the Blue BMW Buster and put the ZXE's in our other ATS-V, "Pearl" our white four-door.

But...one thing which just irritates the hell out of me is that, while the Silverstar headlights work really well, I hate the job of changing headlight bulbs on any late model car which uses aerodynamically- and/or astectically-styled headlamp "capsules". Getting at the back of the Cadillac ATS headlight assemblies to change the bulbs is a PIA job!

You have to get the front end up in the air and on jackstands. Then you remove the wheels. Next, you have to unscrew a ton of fasteners and pop loose a couple of those infernal plastic rivets that seem to be all over new cars. Once you have the fasteners out, you have to pull back the front half of the inner fender, remove a dust cover and–finally–replace the headlight bulb.

Bottom line?

I love Silverstar Ultra bulbs but I freakin' hate changing them!
    Last edited by Hib Halverson; 08-14-2017 at 12:03 PM.
    Hib Halverson
    I'net Tech Writer
    2Vs+3Zs