Cadillac V-Net

Supporting Vendors / Dealers - Advertising Information
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Default V-8 in ATS - V

Quote Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
    Welcome to the V-Net, Rob. I'm a former member (1971-1990) of Corvette Limited of Los Angeles. In fact, I belonged to Limited when you joined CL.

I love the ATS-Vs but hate the way GM does warranty administration and how it ties the hands of dealers who are busting ass to please Cadillac customers.

SLO Vettes is a great club. I'm in Corvette Club Santa Barbara and we've done some events with those guys.
    I am familiar with you being a member of CL. I also remember you helping me with my 69 427 435 hp. Had problems with exhaust valves wearing. Ended up selling that car but still have the 64. 327 with 4 speed is so sweet and reminds me of my youth.

Keep up the good work with your writing. Perhaps a caddy is in my future. Read an article recently about why they just did not put the 6.2l V-8 in it That author guessed that that would just make the caddy a 'caddy camaro'. Who would think.
    The "LS Swap" Shouldn't Be Limited to the Aftermarket

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media

V-Series Cadillac(s)

2016 ATS-V Sedan, 2016 ATS-V Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Unclevito View Post
    Hib: Glad you enjoy your cars so much. Nice to find something you enjoy and exploit it to the max. I am kind of amazed that you bought another ATS-V when you had trouble with the first one and that vibration at 80. I guess that would not have precluded you from buying the blue one since you could have tested it out before purchase.

Buying any car new is just a path to the poor house. Depreciation is a bitch and with a total of $140k of Cadilliacs with mediocre, at best, resale value, you are spending a lot for your fun.

I gave up my desire for street racing back when I was 35. Big deal if you humble an M3 driver. There will always be someone faster than you but hopefully with better judgement.

Robert Price / Vito
    Great questions, Rob!

In April of last year, when I ordered the second ATS-V, the 2-door we call the "Blue BMW Buster", we were unaware the first one had the oil burn-at-cold-start problem and, at the time, we were working through the 80-mph vibration–which was far less a problem than was the vibration on the 2-door "Triple B". Back then, the real unpleasent part of the process of obtaining warranty coverage from GM was yet-to-come.

I agree that first year depreciation on virtually all new cars is a bitch, but then, I really didn't consider that issue in an ATS-V purchase. If first-year depreciation was of significant concern, I'd have likely bought a used car. On the other hand, I am at a point in my life where I can afford a few frivilous purchases...such as new cars which depreciate 30% just as you drive out of the dealer's lot. Also, we tend to keep daily drivers a long time so the first year depreciation is less of a hit. My last three daily drivers were in service for at least a dozen years. My Wife's last DD was in service for nine years. I'll probably be driving the Blue BMW Buster when I'm freakin' 80, dude.

As for the poor judgement which results in street racing...I'm guilty as charged. If I'm 80 and still driving my ATS-V, hopefully I will have grown up by then.

Your comment about the article which advocating the Gen 5 V8 in the ATS-V is spot on. The reasons the V6tt won out over the V8 were mostly marketing.
    Hib Halverson
    I'net Tech Writer
    2Vs+3Zs

Quote Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
    Great questions, Rob!

In April of last year, when I ordered the second ATS-V, the 2-door we call the "Blue BMW Buster", we were unaware the first one had the oil burn-at-cold-start problem and, at the time, we were working through the 80-mph vibration–which was far less a problem than was the vibration on the 2-door "Triple B". Back then, the real unpleasent part of the process of obtaining warranty coverage from GM was yet-to-come.

I agree that first year depreciation on virtually all new cars is a bitch, but then, I really didn't consider that issue in an ATS-V purchase. If first-year depreciation was of significant concern, I'd have likely bought a used car. On the other hand, I am at a point in my life where I can afford a few frivilous purchases...such as new cars which depreciate 30% just as you drive out of the dealer's lot. Also, we tend to keep daily drivers a long time so the first year depreciation is less of a hit. My last three daily drivers were in service for at least a dozen years. My Wife's last DD was in service for nine years. I'll probably be driving the Blue BMW Buster when I'm freakin' 80, dude.

As for the poor judgement which results in street racing...I'm guilty as charged. If I'm 80 and still driving my ATS-V, hopefully I will have grown up by then.

Your comment about the article which advocating the Gen 5 V8 in the ATS-V is spot on. The reasons the V6tt won out over the V8 were mostly marketing.
    Thanks for your reply. I half way expected to be flamed for my comments. You have mellowed a bit in the last 22 years. Likely being married!